Type 31 Frigate

Very aware of the blurb. However if you read the Defence and Royal Navy Plan you'd see how much we commit to this and why. It's expressed in a number of days we will commit platforms to a "task" - my point remains it isn't an RN task. The policing and enforcing responsibility for IUU doesn't lie with the RN it's an OGD responsibility that we help enable.
Quite a bluff on your part, it is and remains a RN task

Again, hugely aware as this forms a large part of my day job. Noting as a trading fund it is an absolutely discrete entity (i.e. no Navy Board oversight etc) which is why and how it operates in the commercial market. The annual dividends are lovely but not particularly significant.
A rather large day job it seems, tell me is there a single part of the RN that you don't do?

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
A rather large day job it seems, tell me is there a single part of the RN that you don't do?
Friendly Moderator advice. Stop being a cock, be careful whom you accuse and chill out

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Quite a bluff on your part, it is and remains a RN task
Quite the opposite of a bluff. It's as written in the Defence plan. If you have access you too can read it.

A supporting role to other agencies to allow them to enable their tasks. Tell me why would the RN want to monitor fishing and what would be their legal provenance. Feel free to use Google.

I probably downloaded this from ARRSE, but even if it is already included in this thread, it/I/we deserve a reminder . . .

1521114823290.png

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Babcock design I assume? There's a similarity to the Irish OPV in the forward superstructure. Rumour is the MOD are favouring something a bit bigger

There's at least 3 others that I'm aware of, including TKMS
Not any more. Allegedly. Runners and riders down to three. Team 31, Team Leander and a third unholy entity with some very non-traditional members. The obvious northern European contenders appear to be making their excuses and leaving - probably due to inability to secure a UK build yard.

Not any more. Allegedly. Runners and riders down to three. Team 31, Team Leander and a third unholy entity with some very non-traditional members. The obvious northern European contenders appear to be making their excuses and leaving - probably due to inability to secure a UK build yard.
So I’m assuming they have to be UK built?

So a UK yard would turn down the business if their (home grown) project lost?

So I’m assuming they have to be UK built?
That's about the ONLY thing that is mandated in the NSBS.

So a UK yard would turn down the business if their (home grown) project lost?
The yards associated with Team 31 and Team Leander are on an exclusive basis AIUI. Kind of hard to get a credible build price if you haven't got a UK yard on board your team.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
There's a few other complications other than yards but essentially everyone else was courting Harland and Wolff. Their problem is lack of recent build experience and the risks that creates. A couple have dropped out not because of UK build but because of future UK export of the design. Essentially they were being asked to help create a competitor.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Crunchie Royal Navy 3899
N Weapons, Equipment & Rations 3
O RAC 65