Type 31 Frigate

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
It's not a factory. It's a shed, nothing more.
A very well fitted out and equipped shed, with customised interior to a particular manufacture and supporting production lines aligned to it. So like a shed for making things. I'm sure there is a word for that...

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
Perhaps you could shed some light on it for us…?
I would say workshop, but that is normally used for one off production. I can't find the word. It is on the tip of my tongue...

Multiple production lines and systems in a single process flow to produce multiples of the same output...

Nope, can't put my finger on it.

Manufactory?

ETA Not sure but I feel the word ‘Artisan’ maybe on the radar.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I would say workshop, but that is normally used for one off production. I can't find the word. It is on the tip of my tongue...

Multiple production lines and systems in a single process flow to produce multiples of the same output...

Nope, can't put my finger on it.
I can see that there are multiple factors, here...

A very well fitted out and equipped shed, with customised interior to a particular manufacture and supporting production lines aligned to it. So like a shed for making things. I'm sure there is a word for that...
What's in the Dutch barn is not really a production line. It's a baby panel line and some space for pin tables and sub-unit erection.

Shipyards rarely (if ever) resemble factories, not least because ship units are not built on a production line. What's in Rosyth is shiny and new - and don't get me wrong, the assembly shed is impressive and pretty much a first for the UK - but a factory it is not.

The giants of Geoje and Okpo - or Tsu or Bremerhaven for that matter - are not factories. They are very well laid out shipyards designed from the off for building ships efficiently. Something Rosyth - due to its constraints - is not.

Ursus Major

War Hero
What's in the Dutch barn is not really a production line. It's a baby panel line and some space for pin tables and sub-unit erection.

Shipyards rarely (if ever) resemble factories, not least because ship units are not built on a production line. What's in Rosyth is shiny and new - and don't get me wrong, the assembly shed is impressive and pretty much a first for the UK - but a factory it is not.

The giants of Geoje and Okpo - or Tsu or Bremerhaven for that matter - are not factories. They are very well laid out shipyards designed from the off for building ships efficiently. Something Rosyth - due to its constraints - is not.
Didn't BAE build one in Pompey. (Before it closed due to Sweaty politiking)

The y built a very nice shed, with a gem of a panel line (allegedly now stored in a shed in Glasgow somewhere). But it was still constrained by the geometry of the dockyard (in particular III basin) and could never be described as a factory.

The original meaning of "factory" was a warehouse used to store goods. The person in charge was the "factor". Actual manufacturing in medieval and renaissance times was extensively outsourced. The word "factory" came to be associated with manufacturing in the early industrial revolution when major merchants started pulling outsourced processes in house in order to cut work in progress costs and to be able to apply the savings to capital investment in machinery.

As a result of this original usage we have such place names in Canada as "York Factory" and "Moose Factory", and I assure you that the latter is not where moose are manufactured.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

They've just applied for PP to extend the build sheds at Govan up to the roadside to the very same thing

They've just applied for PP to extend the build sheds at Govan up to the roadside to the very same thing
That will be interesting to see develop
970A7D21-5830-4808-8285-95E9175FD24B.jpeg

the waste ground to the left is also the access road
likewise their sister yard at yarrows has a lot of waste ground to utilise

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That will be interesting to see develop View attachment 619483

the waste ground to the left is also the access road
likewise their sister yard at yarrows has a lot of waste ground to utilise

Picked up by George, I posted his tweet about it in the T26 thread