Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Type 31 Frigate

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Nah, you want a coax L1A1. Easily the match of those 60s-vintage twin 4.5 mounts on the front of the County and Leander classes...

Isn't that forbidden under various strategic arms-limitation treaties?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Ooh Ooh
He said the word and not just “That rifle” ROP’s surely?
Its a bit like gentlemen of dusky hue being allowed to use the 'N*****' word. If he has carried said Rifle then he is entitled to use its name - SLR. :)

I very much doubt that it is "funded" in the sense that there is any significant budget for it in the Equipment Plan (10 yr horizon). There will probably be a small amount of RDEL in the programme in the last couple of years of this decade to fund the requirement and design activities. Capital spend on it is very unlikely to appear before the 2030's.

This is why, while yesterdays announcements are welcome, it does not signal an RN kit-fest. All it means are that the near-term decisions can be taken now there's a multi-year settlement and the IR can outline the pain and grief as well as the jam.

The single most important recommendation from the National Shipbuilding Strategy remains the provision of a 30 year shipbuilding plan (which T32, T4X and the research ship form part of) and an associated ring-fenced capital budget - which has been given a stiff ignoring. Until you see the latter, the former is simply aspirational.
Do you sigh,roll your eyes slot and shrug your shoulders at co workers during planning meetings? I hope you don't have any influence over junior members of staff and someone with enthusiasm is senior to you and can kick your nialisistic arse.
Whatever we order it's an opportunity to expand and capitalise on success.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Do you sigh,roll your eyes slot and shrug your shoulders at co workers during planning meetings? I hope you don't have any influence over junior members of staff and someone with enthusiasm is senior to you and can kick your nialisistic arse.

It's a start, but it's only a start and there's a lot of hard work to go between "announcement of amazing new Type 32s" and actual ships getting designed, built, crewed and operational - with many mis-steps possible and a definite chance of it all going badly wrong (remember when 32 destroyers and frigates were the clearly demonstrated requirement we really were going to stick to, honest guv?)

Thing is, he's not wrong though.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thing is, he's not wrong though.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Fecking experts with experience their field! What do they know!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Nope. Instead I make them stand in a dark room until they can spell the big words.

Nope. Instead I make them stand in a dark room until they can spell the big words.
There be a good living to be made sticking broken Unicorns back together.

Last edited:

Latest Threads