Type 26

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by Mr_Fingerz, Aug 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. Comments from the hip (not a lot of detail on the Beeb website) but:

- big hull
    - lots of space for weapons, sensors, UAVs, UUVs, aircraft

So it will probably enter service in a pretty austere condition and be criticised by a lot of people as underarmed, fitted for but not with etc etc.

Actually it looks v promising - big, lots of space for new systems over a lifetime, cheap to procure initially because systems will be pulled through from Type 23s leaving service, and hopefully as a result it will come at a unit cost which means we get all 13.

And most excitingly - that doesnt look like a 4.5 at the front!

3. Looks good and armed to the teeth.

Indeed, the 4.5 is finally biting the dust and a 5" gat is the new sexiness.

4. Do with a few more guns couldn't it?
    You know, some of those nice big ones they used to fire at the japs & co.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Wot? No Seadart?

Gash barge.

;)

• Like Like x 9
  6. Interestingly, it now seems to feature 4 VLS silos judging by the animation.

Two small ones, (Sea Ceptor or something else?) in front of the big 24 cell (TLAM) Mk41? and a large capacity one midships, Sea Ceptor?

7. Any news on the VLS spec? I really think they are missing a trick re the scalability of force in the over all fleet structure if the VLS is not grown up enough to launch TLAM. That to my mind is pretty much the T45's biggest failing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Are we really going to get Mk41 VLS? That's far too sensible, plus we've wasted... err invested in Sylver for Sea Viper.

4 silos - what are we going to put in them? Sea Ceptor, obviously, but TLAM? A new AsuW weapon?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Has to be Mk41 for TLAM - unless we are going to buy into SCALP(N) in which case SYLVER 70 and that opens up other possibilities.

10. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

ONLY 13...

At risk of inviting the usual 'Don't you know we're broke?' responses, it should be three times that.

11. Stop it with your common sense!

12. Cold_Collation

Having a word with myself right now...

13. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Fiver says we'll only ever get 8, maximum

14. Cold_Collation

They're going to have to be mighty, mighty capable ships. Can they be in two places at once?

15. If they don't get a full CIWS and upper deck gunnary fit I imagine they will end up in thousands of places at once.

• Like Like x 2