Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I suppose a complete inability to go to sea would reduce the through-life costs and improve crew harmony figures...

HMS Unicorn in Dundee is the oldest UK warship still afloat. Just under 200years old.

Aided by the fact that she was never masted and spent her life with the deck roofed over.

Mattb

LE
With respect, it's not. It's displacement, not weight.
Weight (in the colloqual sense, to mean what is called mass in physics) is the same as displacement, for any non-submersible vessel.

If a ship displaces 10,000,000kg it's because it has a mass of 10,000,000kg. Ergo, they are the same thing.

That joining halves of boats - does it ever go Pete tong ? As in one lot is more than just a couple of mm out ?

I have an often rolled out dit about the first few production Eurofighter, after rejecting, fettling and loudly complaining about the state of the Radomes we had, they reluctantly realized the issue was actually the front fuselage.

As pointless and off topic as the loaded weight of an African swallow, but still.

lovely shaped bow section though, can’t wait to see it cutting through the water!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
40 - 15 Fang_Farrier to serve...
New balls please...

Arguing over the age of these beautiful relics is all well and good. Whether any of them could function as originally intended is another thing entirely.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
New balls please...

Arguing over the age of these beautiful relics is all well and good. Whether any of them could function as originally intended is another thing entirely.

The main reason the Unicorn has survived is that due to the fcat that no mast was ever placed, there was very little pressure on the keel. And the roofing has preserved the decks from exposure to the elements.

The decks make an excellent dining function room if a little low at points, which is fine if one remains sitting.

However they do need to ensure that empty beer kegs are not stored on the dock side so that drunken students don't use them to "depth charge" potential U Boats in the harbour,
1618740487590.png

That joining halves of boats - does it ever go Pete tong ? As in one lot is more than just a couple of mm out ?

It can happen......
The main reason the Unicorn has survived is that due to the fcat that no mast was ever placed, there was very little pressure on the keel. And the roofing has preserved the decks from exposure to the elements.

The decks make an excellent dining function room if a little low at points, which is fine if one remains sitting.

However they do need to ensure that empty beer kegs are not stored on the dock side so that drunken students don't use them to "depth charge" potential U Boats in the harbour,
View attachment 566232

Is that said with feeling because a dinner was rudely interrupted?

Or with a feeling of somewhat late guilt?

:)

Yep - so they made all the cables to the correct length then built Emirates aircraft - and routed the wires a diferent way
Then Quantas and routed the cables a differrent way

On one memorable occasion, I informed the team leader that the cable was several metres short
Cant be it was measured exactly on the last aircraft - go and fit it - See if you can find a bit of length by careful routing

So i Did, then after lots of umming and arring it was agreed that yes it was definatly going to be to short

At this point unfortunatly rather than stepping away gracefully my Sarcasm chip hit over drive

Its 20AWG cable - i could stretch it out to 24AWG - that should give us some length, Which may have gone down better if a German managers humour chip / sarcasm detector wasnt fried and i got a lecture about not pulling wires.

We might be about to find out

Is 'cut and shut' a wise thing to do with submarines? T'will be butt clenching time for the crew during its first dive.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It can happen......

Is that said with feeling because a dinner was rudely interrupted?

Or with a feeling of somewhat late guilt?

:)

This was after the post dinner entertainment, (although billed as a Gentlemen's evening, one lady had been invited. She ensured that the decking was liberally doused in baby oil as a further test of the Unicorn's resilience)

On our way to various pubs.

We also shifted a couple of traffic cones and inadvertently shut a lane on the Tay bridge for a number of hours.

No guilt at all.

Stern blocked being stitched on

I do still find it utterly terrifying that whole sections ships like that are held together with welds rather than some form of mechanical interface

is it still tig/mig type welding or have they moved on to anything magical like friction star welding?

This was after the post dinner entertainment, (although billed as a Gentlemen's evening, one lady had been invited. She ensured that the decking was liberally doused in baby oil as a further test of the Unicorn's resilience) . .
The word "lady" maybe NOT being totally appropriate ?! ;) .

HE117

LE
Is 'cut and shut' a wise thing to do with submarines? T'will be butt clenching time for the crew during its first dive.
Its basically how Barrow now makes boats... hull is made in vertical tube sections which are flipped over and welded into position.

They seem to use every welding technique under the sun...