Type 26 Frigate

Yes but they provide jobs for Canadian admirals not British ones, and imagine the possibility that, since they provided most of the ships the UK ones had to be commanded by a Canadian admiral. Nelson would be rolling in his grave.
Why not? After all, they are part of your family, even if they are distant and are independent. They have the queen on their money.

Why not? After all, they are part of your family, even if they are distant and are independent. They have the queen on their money.

It would pay this country to remember who its friends are and always have been. As far as I am concerned they are our friends in the past and will be in the future. Thise friends aren't necessarily the French and Germans.

It seems to me that our future will be closely linked to the Commonwealth nations and Type 26 could well represent a significant re-orientation

Co-incedently two of the Five Eyes nations have chosen T-26, it bodes well for the future.

Yes but they provide jobs for Canadian admirals not British ones, and imagine the possibility that, since they provided most of the ships the UK ones had to be commanded by a Canadian admiral. Nelson would be rolling in his grave.
Although the RN is short of ships AND crew for the ships they have, they are not short of admirals.

It would pay this country to remember who its friends are and always have been. As far as I am concerned they are our friends in the past and will be in the future. Thise friends aren't necessarily the French and Germans.

It seems to me that our future will be closely linked to the Commonwealth nations and Type 26 could well represent a significant re-orientation

Co-incedently two of the Five Eyes nations have chosen T-26, it bodes well for the future.

That would be three out of five and one of the remaining two should not be trusted. Hint, it's not the southern hemisphere one.

It will be 4...eventually...maybe. The UK, AUS, CAN, NZ (which usually follows an AUS order - maybe).

What are the odds of the 26 AAW variant serving as the baseline for the T45 replacement?
I would imagine absolutely zero given that I hope we can expect a good 30 years further service from the T45s. However, it would be nice to think some of the T26s could receive the AAW fit to augment the Darings.

Regards,
MM

Although the RN is short of ships AND crew for the ships they have, they are not short of admirals.
Apparently this is old news, sadly not old news because the navy has done something about reducing the number of admirals, but old because it been going on for so long they hope we might have forgotten.

Given that the fun police scrapped the rum ration, and have now made HM Canadian Ships dry, what makes you think that weed will be permitted.

Christ I'm glad that I'm not in the forces anymore, it's turned into a grim humourless place.
Tong in cheek by me - but legal weed has no doubt opened up a can of worms and only the lawyers will come out of this as win win (plus their bank managers of course)

Tong in cheek by me - but legal weed has no doubt opened up a can of worms and only the lawyers will come out of this as win win (plus their bank managers of course)
Not really. It's no different from alcohol. If they can ban booze from ships they can ban weed. If you can prevent people from turning up to work under the influence of booze then they can ban people from turning up under the influence from weed.

@Not a Boffin would welcome your contribution.Could we take a sound muffled T26 and use it to develop the next AAW?
Should we go with one single hull or still go with a division of assets? and spread the cash?
BAE already has a proposal for a air defence version of the T-26, as they market it as a ship that can be built to fill many roles. The first three ships for Canada will also be an air defence/command version. It is not known at this time how far the Canadian version will deviate from the "stock" BAE concept in this regards.

The question though is where such a thing would fit in the RN's plans for the fleet. It wouldn't be a replacement for the T-45, since as others have already noted the T-45 is still new and won't need replacing for some time. So the question comes down to what older ships will need replacing after the T-31s are built and what roles the replacements will be expected to fill.

I would imagine absolutely zero given that I hope we can expect a good 30 years further service from the T45s. However, it would be nice to think some of the T26s could receive the AAW fit to augment the Darings.

Regards,
MM
I hope your wrong, for the sake of ship building (inc design and all the bits tat feed in) I hope 25 years or 30 yrs is the total intended service life.

The question though is where such a thing would fit in the RN's plans for the fleet.
Yachts for the rich who want some added protection, party boats etc etc.? Some of these yachts are pretty flipping expensive, eclipsing the costs of quite a few war ships by a margin. Just saying...if BAE want to market them as yachts with protection.