Type 2 Diabetes

Apart from the fact that most are just as bad by using a sweetener your palate won’t get used to no sugar!
Within a few weeks of giving up sugar in tea I found that I couldn’t take it even if accidentally!
I have one exception when camping out I use three in one sachets and that one sugar really gives me a morning lift!
Many artificial sweeteners are worse than sugar but for different reasons so it’s better to burn your bridges with it!
Baking in our place can be bland but we try different things and go savoury over sweet if it’s an option
Sugar free biscuits seem the worst, I spike more than eating real biscuits

Now I'd rather forgo them entirely and save the carbs for something more worthwhile

ugly

LE
I thought that was a colouring agent rather than a sweetener. The dayglo orange element in Sunny D that sends children up the wall.
Could be, I’m on gin and slimline at the moment

ugly

LE
Bugger G&T has sweetener

I make my own yogurt, have a bulk maker from Lakeland.

Buy a pint of milk boil it up when it cools down put it into the container with a small plain low fat (Yeo Valley) yogurt overnight it produces yogurt

Add to fruit as required

Most yogurts contain a lot of sugar in the flavouring, as a special treat use Channel Island or Jersey Milk gold top

Archie

Does it bollocks, like. Bastards.
I'm a bit taken aback at that. I thought the UK had free medical care across the board.

In Ireland Diabetes is a serious illness which gets one a Serious Illness Book. Yes an actual book in which they stick all your prescriptions and you get them free. Any thing you can connect to Diabetes is covered including test sticks, insulin, blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds and the little blue pills.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I was diagnosed with type 2 some six years ago. I tried to be good but failed, although I didn't really show any suffering from the condition. A couple of weeks before Christmas, being fed up with being fat, I put myself on a diet and to date have lot over 20 kilos - or, for those who use old money, 4 stone. My doctor, whom I had to see on another matter, now thinks that my next blood and urine tests will show that I am now free of diabetes.
No rigid diet, nothing followed from book, just basically not eating or drinking anything I happen to like. Bloody boring but it worked.

I'm a bit taken aback at that. I thought the UK had free medical care across the board.

In Ireland Diabetes is a serious illness which gets one a Serious Illness Book. Yes an actual book in which they stick all your prescriptions and you get them free. Any thing you can connect to Diabetes is covered including test sticks, insulin, blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds and the little blue pills.
It is the same in England..

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Oh, I'm still old and hairy, just not as fat as I was.

Been Type 2 for about 3 years. Actually about 6 years but the doctors forgot to tell me for a couple of years.
Problem for me is I'm not fat enough apparently, my symptoms mean I should be heavily overweight and I'm not. I used to be but not for years.
Diabetes for me led to pretty massive weight loss.

Diabetic nurse specifically warned me off trying to treat it with low carb diet books and claims made by such. She reckoned that doing so would make me very ill.

Three years of screwing around with the medication hasn't helped a great deal, radical lifestyle changes haven't changed anything much either.
Over three years I've managed to redce my blood sugar from treble what it should be down to merely double.

I'm on three monthly reviews with the next in a couple of weeks

14 years for me, plus a couple more before we realised. Well controlled with Metformin and diet, or rather, lack of diet.

People, especially my mum, say things like "you can't have that, you're diabetic", my wise doctor told me I could eat anything I want, but realise what it's doing to me. I see him every six months, don't bother with the clinic because they keep stupid times and I'd rather keep my leave for good things. He keeps an eye on my hba1c results, bollocks me if they're out of kilter.

When I was in hospital over Christmas, the bloke in the next bend went nil by mouth at the same time as me. His next test was 26.9, mine was 4.7!

Don't ever eat something that says it's for diabetics, you'll be shitting through the crack in mother Theresa's knees!

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

Diabetic nurse specifically warned me off trying to treat it with low carb diet books and claims made by such. She reckoned that doing so would make me very ill.

Three years of screwing around with the medication hasn't helped a great deal, radical lifestyle changes haven't changed anything much either.
Over three years I've managed to redce my blood sugar from treble what it should be down to merely double.

I'm on three monthly reviews with the next in a couple of weeks

The issue is I believe is that despite all these expert medical people and research and charities - the don`t have a clue what causes it or how to treat it.

There is more to it that weight, I know people who are overweight and don`t exercise and don`t have a hint of Diabetes

I believe that the NHS stigmatise Diabetes patients and uses scare tactics to try an solve the problem.

When the Diabetic retinal eye screening detected changes to the back my eye, I was referred to a Consultant (that was a saga in itself) I got my referral letter and a NHS leaflet telling me that I will go blinding and Diabetes is the biggest cause of blindness. The leaflet told me to control my weight / blood sugar and blood pressure all of which I do, cannot do much more.

After 3 consultant appointments, I finally get a Consultant who takes time to explain the problem, and how I was just affected in one eye very slightly and that there are effective treatments available if the situation deteriorated.

However on the appointment prior to Christmas last I was told the the problem had disappeared (I did not know it could dissipate, the NHS information was crap)

Everyone is different for my age I am quite fit and eat a sensible diet and I anywhere being cured no, without my medication I would have been dead years ago currently on three types of medical each day

I look at labels on food these days especially the Carb and sugar rating per 100g anything over 50 grams gets put back on the shelf, nearly all food has carbs just the amount varies

PS I can eat virtually nothing all day and my blood sugar reading still rises, and something you eat today can push up your blood sugar reading tomorrow, its all about metabolism

I try to follow a Paleo / Low GI diet

Archie

Last edited:
You tramp.

Latest Threads