Type 2 Diabetes

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
@Fang_Farrier

Professional opinion on a dental health and hygiene product please...

Is the regular use of Corsadyl Daily or similar of any tangible benefit as a supplement to regular brushing and flossing or is it little more than a twice daily mouthwash that 'could improve / could reduce' something but equally, it might not?

Tooth brushing is still the most effective way of maintaining good oral hygiene.

The like of chlorhexidine has a role in specific conditions and situations but is not necessary for the majority of folk on a long term basis.

Someone upstream referred to 'Iglu' pastilles for calming the effects of sore gums (as probably caused by D2). Expensive, but very effective - thanks, whoever it was.

ugly

LE
I was surprised to find there isn’t already a thread about this; I can’t be the only old fat bugger on ARRSE.

I had my yearly medical and my blood result showed I have type 2 diabetes. They look at your HbA1c levels, if it’s above 48 then you have type 2 diabetes.
Today my nurse rang with my latest results, my habc is 31, so from type two to clear in two years.
It only cost me losing half of my weight and I’m not kidding

Today my nurse rang with my latest results, my habc is 31, so from type two to clear in two years.
It only cost me losing half of my weight and I’m not kidding

well in mate! - out of interest are thy still saying you are a diabetic and keeping you on metaformin/other diabetic meds? - when I dropped out of the duabetic spectrum they insisted that I would always be a diabetic and reduced my metaformin but kept me on them which puzzles the shit out of me

ugly

LE
well in mate! - out of interest are thy still saying you are a diabetic and keeping you on metaformin/other diabetic meds? - when I dropped out of the duabetic spectrum they insisted that I would always be a diabetic and reduced my metaformin but kept me on them which puzzles the shit out of me
No I am off meds but was only on 10mg of Linaglyptin a day so very little!
I remain as diabetic for free meds forever even if after review it’s declared in remission according to my nurse

I couldn't tolerate Metformin, nor the slow release version. Now on linagliptin 5Mg daily.

No I am off meds but was only on 10mg of Linaglyptin a day so very little!
I remain as diabetic for free meds forever even if after review it’s declared in remission according to my nurse
Once diagnosed you're always diabetic. Bit of a pisser for travel insurance :-(

ugly

LE
Once diagnosed you're always diabetic. Bit of a pisser for travel insurance :-(
Not that bothered by travel insurance as 0A is type 2 so used to dealing with that, I have plenty of other things wrong with me which we are gradually working through, my cancer is now gone subject to six month scans so I’m relatively relaxed about illness

Not that bothered by travel insurance as 0A is type 2 so used to dealing with that, I have plenty of other things wrong with me which we are gradually working through, my cancer is now gone subject to six month scans so I’m relatively relaxed about illness
Fugging well done ! Now live long and prosper.

Human beings are programmed to take advantage of food when it becomes available, once you get to the point of being surrounded with mountains of high calorie food like we are it's very hard to resist over eating.

Human beings are programmed to take advantage of food when it becomes available, once you get to the point of being surrounded with mountains of high calorie food like we are it's very hard to resist over eating.

totally agree, I emptied all of my food cupboards of naughty stuff and went through 3 days of misery when I went down to 4 200 cals meals a day but the cravings passed after that and then it was just down to iron discipline and strict routine; Little tricks like drinking plenty of fluids, keeping yourself physically active between meals so you are not dwelling on your hunger and going to bed earlier worked well for me but the no1 thing is iron discipline

I may be way off the mark, but I count carbohydrates, not calories, trying to reduce the filthy things to as close to zero as possible. In fact, I don't even count them, just write off anything with a count on the label higher than 2-5 in any meal, and living largely on fresh veggies in addition to good meat. Steely discipline doesn't really come into the equation, either. Fear of going blind does.
Ok, there's popcorn. And sugar-free chocolate. And beer. Quite a lot of that, actually.

endure

GCM
Calories are irrelevant as far as diabetes is concerned. It's the carbs that destroy you...

padme

War Hero
My dad became a diabetic thru his cancer and Arthritis medication

no f in beer

War Hero
Diabetes triggered by Heart failure according to docs, been on insulin for 9 years, plodding along okay, Heart mediction bumps sugars up which does not help, but all under control. Until....

Last blood test results, Nursey at GP's says that nothing is changing so 'we' need to change your insulin, and doses, and some other meds!!!!

1st July is face to face consult, should be interesting. My approach will be 'if it aint broke'

I'm being saintly at the moment; dry white wine/sparkly. This is the recommended fruit-loop-soup according to all the Literature (or the internet versions, at least). I noticed variations in blood/glucose levels after indulging in beer over the lightest pils available and have modified my behaviour a little.
Faxe 10% is out (after the last of the stock is consumed; it's money, after all). So is, sadly, the IPA, which I love but is stuffed with sugary muck. It's taken me a year to get down to this level, with a great deal of rationalisation and excuse, but it has to happen. That said, my trendline in the spreadsheet has been on a constant drift downwards, which is heartening. I've noticed that an afternoon's sweaty endeavours on the boat, scrubbing etc, has been very helpful in reducing tiredness later on. It's been useful in reducing my propensity for short and abusive answers to people taunting me about my antifoul, too.

Someone in the Times article on diabetes (vis-a-vis Type I) today pointed this at me.

Very, very interesting, and highly recommended.

Edit: I noted above that when I went on a very low carbohydrate diet, my incidence of gout dropped to zero. This lecture by Noakes explains that. It's not often that there's good news on the subject...

Last edited:

Hmmm... interesting. I'm not so sure, myself. The various cruds which accumulate on my tongue are sure to skew results; I'm not averse to self-harm with a tiny needle every so often, anyway.

Latest Threads