Type 2 Diabetes

I was surprised to find there isn’t already a thread about this; I can’t be the only old fat bugger on ARRSE.

I had my yearly medical and my blood result showed I have type 2 diabetes. They look at your HbA1c levels, if it’s above 48 then you have type 2 diabetes.

I’m aware that some of you already deal with diabetes and I’m not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs. I just wish there was a thread that I could have gone to so that I could inform myself as it’s a bit of a learning curve.

Type 2 diabetes can lead on to other, serious, health problems - liver disease, blindness and loss of limbs.

It can be controlled by meds, but then you’re not really dealing with the cause and meds themselves can cause other issues.

Ive read that Type 2 diabetes would be better understood if it was referred to as Carbohydrate Intolerance.

With some advice from the nurse I have turned down the meds route and am looking to eat my way out of diabetes with the help of a good book.

This isn’t an advertisement for the book, but it is cheap and seems quite good, however it’s not perfect and there are lots of pitfalls.

The plan is to cut back on carbs, ditching bread, potatoes and pasta for green veg, proteins (steak, chicken, fish).

I’ve started this thread in the cooking forum to hopefully help myself and others with collective knowledge and avoid those pitfalls I mentioned.

UKTAP

LE
Surely you are immune to losing limbs, so you get a free pass to crack on and do whatever the **** you want.

Surely you are immune to losing limbs, so you get a free pass to crack on and do whatever the **** you want.
That was my first thought, then as we discussed the other issues it became quite scary.

I find I lack energy if I don't get enough carbs, I eat more salady stuff these days but potatoes and pasta are hard to give up

But then my medical records are a mess, the hospital thinks I'm type 1, my GP has me down as type 2, despite the consultants thinking I'm type 1

And then they mistook going into a diabetic coma with having a psychotic break and nearly had me sectioned before they realised I really was dying

So medical professionals, not sure I entirely trust them

What I've learnt is that processed food spikes me, food sold as low sugar is incredibly bad for me, and zero sugar fizzy drinks spike my sugar levels as much as the real thing...in fact just don't have fizzy drinks at all, even beer in moderation seems less bad for me

Potatoes and pasta spike my sugar levels on readings, but don't affect my body in the short term badly, so what I've done is reduced my eating levels, added more healthy stuff but haven't tried dieting as I'm supposed to

I just do what I did when I younger, if I want to lose weight I do more excercise but don't increase my food intake accordingly, just a little higher

But not everyone is the same, it's the people who think they can carry on as normal by injecting more insulin and carrying on as normal

Sod that, do more exercise and be sensible, be careful of carbs but don't be afraid of them either

Carbs and Calories is the book dietitians recommend for diabetics, you can get it as a book, a pdf/kindle, or even as an app on your phone

I have read articles in the past that refer to a method of "resetting" your body and reversing type 2 diabetes. It seems to be a very low calorie diet over a period of weeks. Possibly something worth investigating ?

Welcome to the club. Don't sweat it, something will finish you off one way or t'other.

Edit: your middle name isn't Jonah by any chance, is it?

endure

GCM
Can't see the book. What is it? Go to bloodsugar101.com or better still buy the book from Amazon and does what it says

If your doc hasn't given you a meter buy one and some sticks from ebay - much cheaper than buying them from a chemist.

Carbs are not your friend if you're type 2

I was surprised to find there isn’t already a thread about this; I can’t be the only old fat bugger on ARRSE.

I had my yearly medical and my blood result showed I have type 2 diabetes. They look at your HbA1c levels, if it’s above 48 then you have type 2 diabetes.

I’m aware that some of you already deal with diabetes and I’m not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs. I just wish there was a thread that I could have gone to so that I could inform myself as it’s a bit of a learning curve.

Type 2 diabetes can lead on to other, serious, health problems - liver disease, blindness and loss of limbs.

It can be controlled by meds, but then you’re not really dealing with the cause and meds themselves can cause other issues.

Ive read that Type 2 diabetes would be better understood if it was referred to as Carbohydrate Intolerance.

With some advice from the nurse I have turned down the meds route and am looking to eat my way out of diabetes with the help of a good book.

This isn’t an advertisement for the book, but it is cheap and seems quite good, however it’s not perfect and there are lots of pitfalls.

The plan is to cut back on carbs, ditching bread, potatoes and pasta for green veg, proteins (steak, chicken, fish).

I’ve started this thread in the cooking forum to hopefully help myself and others with collective knowledge and avoid those pitfalls I mentioned.
There is one in the Health and fitness forum. 7 pages so far so you might find something useful in it: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/diabetes-please-read.195849/page-8#post-9192470

I can’t stand plain water if I can avoid it. Sparkling water with a squeeze of lime or there are some no carb, low calorie fizzy flavoured waters available.

Energy wise I’m ok, but then I’ve only been doing it since Monday. Plenty of reserves to work off.

Can't see the book. What is it? Go to bloodsugar101.com or better still buy the book from Amazon and does what it says

If your doc hasn't given you a meter buy one and some sticks from ebay - much cheaper than buying them from a chemist.

Carbs are not your friend if you're type 2
The diabetes weight loss cookbook by Katie and Giancarlo Caldesi.

For type 2?

I can’t stand plain water if I can avoid it. Sparkling water with a squeeze of lime or there are some no carb, low calorie fizzy flavoured waters available.

Energy wise I’m ok, but then I’ve only been doing it since Monday. Plenty of reserves to work off.
Have a look at the Going Dry thread for low & no alcohol alternatives for beer.

endure

GCM
For type 2?
Too much glucose in your blood will damage your organs whether you're type 1 or 2. Buy the book, get a meter and follow the instructions. You'll spend a few weeks using the meter yo see which foods affect you most. Once you've got that figured out you only need to start using the meter again if one of your regular HBa1C readings is a bit shit.

Using ghe meter will give you knowledge and numbers

endure

GCM
PS you don't need to change the lance ever time you use the meter. I change mine every six months

Have a look at the Going Dry thread for low & no alcohol alternatives for beer.
I rarely drink at most it’s a few G&Ts with friends, I have slimline tonic, so that’s not an issue.

I enjoy the odd cider and will continue to have the odd cider as a treat.

This bits been easy for me.

Too much glucose in your blood will damage your organs whether you're type 1 or 2. Buy the book, get a meter and follow the instructions. You'll spend a few weeks using the meter yo see which foods affect you most. Once you've got that figured out you only need to start using the meter again if one of your regular HBa1C readings is a bit shit.

Using ghe meter will give you knowledge and numbers
Thank you, but I’ll stick with the change in lifestyle for eating and arrange to go back for another blood test.

I rarely drink at most it’s a few G&Ts with friends, I have slimline tonic, so that’s not an issue.

I enjoy the odd cider and will continue to have the odd cider as a treat.

This bits been easy for me.
Cider is one to watch as it has more calories than beer. Morrison's <1% cider is okay. M&S have a decent one as well.

I have read articles in the past that refer to a method of "resetting" your body and reversing type 2 diabetes. It seems to be a very low calorie diet over a period of weeks. Possibly something worth investigating ?
Is that not what Tom Watson did?
He's got.....a book out.;)

Latest Threads