Two USN ship collide in the Pacific

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Fireplace, May 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Apart from....
    • Like Like x 1
  3. That's what comes of driving on the wrong side of the ocean.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Not two USN. Yukon is USNS, a civvy run ship.
  5. Were they invisible ships?
  6. Just looked through wiki. Looks like the Yukon has a habit of spanking other ships...
  7. No AV8Bs were hurt in this bump + grind during fefueling.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. For crying out loud,is the Pacific not big enough? It's not as if it's like Tesco car park is it? Wasn't women drivers by any chance,was it?

Tin lid on,awaiting incoming from the females of the species.
  9. You say that with tongue in cheek but one of the lasses I was at 34 Fd hosp with used to go to Tescos at 3 in the morning so nobody would park near her. However on one trip they parked in front of her and she had to wait over an hour for them to come out and drive off as "she didn't like reversing."
    • Like Like x 2
  10. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Massively silly landlubber comments. If you have a steering gear failure while you are in the middle of refuelling underway alongside a tanker, this is what happens, because part of your ship is in a pressure zone and part in a suction zone. Could happen to anyone.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. That'll be the last time they let the RN exchange officer have the wheel.

If it's been sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk then I'm probably pissed.
  12. See, if I was driving a ship that lost its steering gear I would stop it, then there wouldn't be those pressure zones or suction zones. Come to think of it, if I was refuelling, I would stop as well.
  13. I thought you were supposed to turn your car off while your were refueling?
  14. I was on a British Grey Funnel line a while a go on the upper deck watching the RAS when exactly this happened - I could see the Bridge staff flapping on the bridge wing and my 1st and pretty much only thought was to look across to the other ship and see if there were any pointy bits coming in my direction.

Thankfully no-one was hurt, bar an engineer bloke who broke his hand trying to engage the emergency steering thingy.

Happy days...