Two US Marine Bns to Join Next UK Deployment in Afghanistan

#1
Two US Marine Bns to Join Next UK Deployment in Afghanistan
BBC NEWSNIGHT is reporting that two US marine Bns will join the next UK deployment in Helmond Afghanistan. They will bring with them dozens of extra helicopters both attack and transport.
 
#2
HOOAAAH... watch the amount of kit they bring...
 
#3
Bravo_Bravo said:
HOOAAAH... watch the amount of kit they bring...
F'kin hell, but watch the amount of kit thay go home with :D
 
#6
Skynet said:
BBC Newsnight is also reporting that the French will send 1000 troops to the Canadian sector to help out there.
So will they become the USA's new best friend?
 
#8
Skynet said:
BBC Newsnight is also reporting that the French will send 1000 troops to the Canadian sector to help out there.
That's the last thing the Canadians need - 1000 cheese-eating surrender monkeys
 
#10
saintstone said:
['kin hell, but watch the amount of kit thay go home with. :D
Bwahaha! Classic. :D

Who's up next for their turn in the 'Stan? We need to make sure that whoever we send we also draft some Kingo's along as well so we can rob the Americans blind. "Helicopter regiment, what helicopter regiment? Have you lost something?" ;)
 
#11
1,000 Frogs to the Canuks. Hum someone playing politics, Quebec cums ta mind.
john
And Brick ya may just be right on the Kingo, rob um blind.
 
#12
Brick said:
saintstone said:
['kin hell, but watch the amount of kit thay go home with. :D
Bwahaha! Classic. :D

Who's up next for their turn in the 'Stan? We need to make sure that whoever we send we also draft some Kingo's along as well so we can rob the Americans blind. "Helicopter regiment, what helicopter regiment? Have you lost something?" ;)
It really is an Army myth that our dear departed Kingos was a bunch of thieving gobsh!te Scouse gits always on the rob and causing punch ups all over western Germany... and Berlin :roll:
 
#13
Sum Myth.
john
Only served in same garrison Twice.
Once was enough until shared same camp and mess.
Mind you it could have been the Dukes.
 
#14
If the BBC report is true then Sarkozy has certainly shown some political courage, if perhaps some stupidity as well. Domestic opposition is going to love beating him over the head with it.
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#15
Skynet said:
BBC Newsnight is also reporting that the French will send 1000 troops to the Canadian sector to help out there.
More than likely be 1000 'French' troops of many different nationalities but with French officers leading them = French Foreign Legion
 
#16
the deployment of the USMC battalions is not a 'new' revelation:

Washington Post editoral

Thursday, January 17, 2008;


THE BUSH administration's decision to dispatch an additional 3,200 Marines to Afghanistan raises the question of whether NATO's participation in the war has been a failure.

Though the United States already provides more than half of the 53,000 foreign troops in Afghanistan, the additional Marines are needed because no other NATO country was willing, despite months of pleading and cajoling by Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates, to commit fresh forces to the troubled southern provinces where the Taliban has made a comeback.

What's more, Mr. Gates and other senior Pentagon officials seem to have concluded that the three NATO countries that have been willing to operate in the south -- Britain, Canada and the Netherlands -- have been relatively ineffective.


from here
 
#17
Cue American flag-wavers and military-types: "Looks like our amazing boys have to clear up after our useless European allies again etc etc ad infinitum"
 
#18
lill said:
the deployment of the USMC battalions is not a 'new' revelation:

Washington Post editoral

Thursday, January 17, 2008;


THE BUSH administration's decision to dispatch an additional 3,200 Marines to Afghanistan raises the question of whether NATO's participation in the war has been a failure.

Though the United States already provides more than half of the 53,000 foreign troops in Afghanistan, the additional Marines are needed because no other NATO country was willing, despite months of pleading and cajoling by Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates, to commit fresh forces to the troubled southern provinces where the Taliban has made a comeback.

Cajoling? What, like calling us sh1t at our job?

What's more, Mr. Gates and other senior Pentagon officials seem to have concluded that the three NATO countries that have been willing to operate in the south -- Britain, Canada and the Netherlands -- have been relatively ineffective.


As in, failed to blow everyone into pink mist?

from here
My bold.
 
#19
the_boy_syrup said:
Skynet said:
BBC Newsnight is also reporting that the French will send 1000 troops to the Canadian sector to help out there.
More than likely be 1000 'French' troops of many different nationalities but with French officers leading them = French Foreign Legion
You might be correct. If so, quite a few Brits in there also I suspect.
 
#20
Lack of will by Euro politicians is the main issue here and there are some practical reasons why the US has finally had to step in. Example:

"Germany's military forces lack the basic equipment that would allow them to expand their mission to combat Taliban insurgents in southern Afghanistan as demanded by the U.S., a former senior military official said.

``Great shortfalls have been exposed in the federal army's equipment that urgently need to be tackled'' before German troops can engage Taliban forces, Harald Kujat, the former chairman of NATO's military committee and Germany's top general between 2000 and 2002, said today in an interview from Berlin. "


http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601100&sid=apCQgov0U0ME&refer=germany
 

Similar threads