Two Small Questions...

Discussion in 'Officers' started by ses60039, Aug 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello there, stumbled accross this site whilst at work!

First and foremost, let me introduce myself. Iam a recent graduate of a 1st in Sports Development from the University of Portsmouth (Not the most academic of subjects for RMAS I know!). I had been in the cadets for a number of years prior to University and have always wanted to become an officer in the armed forces. I would have applied to RMAS in my final year of University if it wasn't for a recurring shoulder injury, which eventually required an operation.

I have my initial interview on the 2nd September and I will be aiming for one of the intakes next year, presumably alongside many others on this forum. I have two questions specifically regarding my actions prior to my initial interview.

Firstly, am I expected to be arragning Regimental visits prior to this interview and the AOSB briefing or will this all be explained in due course at the interview?

Secondly, Iam under the presumption that the intial interview is somewhat informal, but then we all know what they say about presumption? Am I right to assume the interview will be along the lines of why the army? why the artillery? (my regimental choice) family history etc? Or will it be more current affair/military knowledge orientated?

Many thanks.
  2. Ses,

Go to the Regular Officer Recruiting thread at the top of the Officers' Forum page and I guarantee that you will find the answers in there.
  3. Welcome to the site.

1. Regimental visits should be arranged, through your AFCO, throughout your application process. The more you do the better. If you can get one in before your initial interview; happy days. Blow jobs all round! The choice of arm process at Sandhurst is changing slightly at the moment and you are now required to turn up at RMAS with two firm choices of preferred regiment. (Unless one of these is AAC in which case you need three) You will be asked what they are at the start of your course.

2. Your initial interview is for the recruiter to touch base with you, guage who you are and to discern your motivations for joining. You will be asked some about your family, education and hobbies. It is also an opportunity for you to ask intelligent questions about the joining up process. (Hint.Write some down and take them with you.) A small awareness of military knowledge and current affairs might be useful but you won't be grilled on them. If you're truly interested then you probably know enough anyway. If not, it shouldn't be a hardship to look up a few facts and figures.

All in all: Regimental visits - do some
    Initial interview - not a drama. (wear a suit)
  4. Thankyou very much for the replies, cleared a few things up for me. I will now scout the forums for further info!