Two Service Numbers?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by sandmanatlake, Sep 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there.
    I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone out there could help me find an answer to this puzzling question. I have been doing some research into my family tree. When checking out my grandfather's military record from the First World War, I found out he had two service numbers. He is down as Private No 1569, London Regiment, and also Lance Corporal No 25227, Machine Gun Corps. I know he started off in the London Regiment and then moved to the Machine Gun Corps. But why the change of service Number? If anyone out there knows why two different service numbers would have been issued, I would be most grateful for the info.
    Thanks. Martin.
  2. I'm not an expert in this matter, but I think you'll find that it's down to regiments.

Even today, we talk about "Regimental Number" rather than "Army Number" as it is really is now. Each regiment would allocate it's own set of numbers. On transfer between regiments, you'd pick up a new number.

Hmmm. That could explain why my great great grandfather has his name twice on the 1914-19 war memorial.
  3. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

My grandfather had 3 service numbers.

Joined Lincs Regt, transferred to RE wounded then re-mustered to RE. A different number each time.

I will dig out more details as and when.
  4. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Finally bothered my arrse, here's his details:

2/5th Lincolnshire Regiment 5491 Private
    2/5th Lincolnshire Regiment 241805 Private
    Royal Engineers 619528 Private