Two RAF airmen rescued as two Tornados crash in fog

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by pimpernel, Jul 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Two RAF airmen rescued as two Tornados crash in fog

Two £40 million Tornado GR4 aircraft have crashed off the north east Scotland after flying in thick fog. Two airmen have been airlifted to hospital as one aircraft was spotted in the water and the second is still missing.

2. Mod_rss?

3. Double thread.

tac

4. Thats what you get for letting SAC's fly

5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

That's two less that will be flying over my house everyday.

Noisy *******.

In all seriousness hope everyone's OK, one of my mates from school is a Tornado jockey at Lossie.

6. Yes. I think there was momentarily a MoD feed on this. But I think it was pulled withdrawn seconds later, as it disappeared.
    Perhaps they thought better of it.

7. dockers

dockers Old-Salt Book Reviewer

8. Does that mean we're left with 2 serviceable, 2 up on blocks and another being used as temporary housing?

Seriously though, can we afford (from a defensive point of view) to be 2 down? It doesn't seem like we have a great deal to cover the UK. Just saying like.

• Like Like x 1
  9. What it probably means is two blokes are now hovis. The families might look in here so perhaps we should save the flic flaks for another thread.

• Like Like x 4
  10. 307

307 War Hero

Unless we need to drop Paveway IVs on the UK, then I wouldn't worry too much, QRA is covered by Typhoon these days.

I hope very much the second crew managed to get out in time and are picked up safe and well.

But seriously, the number of incidents involving Tornado GR4 of late is worrying, an immensely capable airframe, maintained to the highest possible standards, but time catches up with us all eventually. It would be great to have some GR9s to take up some of the slack as needed. I almost feel sorry for Typhoon, she is going to end up filling a lot of different shoes that she wasn't originally sized up for.

11. BBC News just announcing that search is called off for tonight and will resume at first light tomorrow.

12. Link?

13. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

hundreds of them, like all the bits falling off during training flights over north africa killing innocent soldiers enjoying a game of my leaders got more guns than yours with a rival village and the cracked wing root issues they tried to keep quiet.

no wonder they have to keep rebuilding them

14. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

if the lads are in the sea then surely the twinkly lights are easier to see at night, let me guess no nimrod cover?

15. ....and rather poor visibility due to fog, rendering lights - twinkly and lights - BFO, NVG and TI kind-of useless.