Two quick questions - Word (2003/XP) and HP F2400 printer

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Yokel, Jul 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 1. How do I stop Word assigning huge 3.17cm margins to every document I use/write - it looks ridiculous - 2cm would be much more acceptable.

2. How do I get my new HP Deskjet F2400 to print on both sides of the page? It was doing it, printing the odd sides then asking for the paper to be re entered so it could print the even pages, but seems to have gone back to printing only single sides....

Thanks in advance.
  2. Not sure about the printer problem but I just put 'default margin' into MS Word help and it came up with this:

3. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

1. Go into page setup and change the margins.

2. Check that the F2400 has the ability to carry out double sided printing.

PS XP is the operating system, Word is a software package.
  4. Another possible solution ......

Open Word to a new blank Document .
    Select File /Page set up and then adjust Margins accordingly .
    Carry out any other format / layout changes you require .
    Select Save but select File Type as a Template …. Give this new Template a meaningful name .
    Close Word .
    Reopen … select New …. Chose the new Template and job done .
  5. There should be an option in the Printer options/preferences for duplex printing. However, you can always do it manually by telling Word to only print the odd pages, reload the printed pages and then print again but only even pages.
  6. Trivial but annoying: every printed page seems to have a a little nick in the top edge. Hmmm!
  7. Only one thing for it... go Office Space on it. ;-P
  8. Any chance of real advice - got important letters etc to print.
  9. If you are getting nicks in the paper, it's going to be a mechanical thing. Open the printer up and see if there's anything that is causing it.

Margins wise, second post - BarkingSpider has a good solution.

Double sided printing - 5th post Psypher has a good solution. Image below makes that clearer:

Attached Files:

10. Not sure it can be opened up at the back.
  11. Now replaced with a Kodak ESP3250 - but when I print the paper still has tiny "nicks" in the top edge, in the same place.

Any ideas?

Worth going back to the shop?
  12. If two printers are producing the same nicks, check the paper.
  13. I have checked the paper quickly, but then spnt more time looking at it after the print. Hmmm!
  14. The paper seems ok. I spoke to someone and they suggested that it may have been the roller as it takes it in...

I've just thought that when I set it up, the printer wasn't resting on a 100% level and firm surface, neither was the earlier one. Might this explain things?

Can I reset it and set it up again?
  15. msr

msr LE

Put it on a level surface and see if that solves the issue...