Two minutes silence on Thursday - good idea ?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Cutaway, Jul 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I notice with dread that there is to be another two minutes silence next Thursday, this time as a mark of respect for those who tragically lost their lives in the latest London bombings.

While I have every sympathy with their loved one's grief and do not wish to belittle their loss, is it a good idea to have a poignant silence each time there is a high profile murder ?

I can remember when the two minutes silence on Remembrance Day, (not the nearest fecking Sunday, but on the eleventh of November each year,) was taken seriously - even the traffic stopped.
    As I said I am not poring scorn on the demise of those people murdered three days ago, but doesn't it take the weight out of these silences when they're used willy-nilly ?

(I think there was a similar thread about the silence for Ken Bigley when he lost his head, but it's late & I can't be arrsed to find it.)

2. Bloody silly idea. Won't happen. If it does I'll move to Wales.

Woo

3. I think its a good idea I know where you are coming form just we should take two minutes of our time to think what happen on this tragic day. How should never happen again!

4. Did anyone notice this on Friday.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/4667279.stm

I'm ashamed to say I didn't.

In the great scheme of things a childs murder was only local news.

I suppose what I'm saying is we'll end up a nation of professional mourners.

1100 11/11

Time to remember.

Beebs

5. Very good point BBC all the news was only on the bombing mainly.
    But the police deal with murders and kidnapping not the public there job last time i checked!

RIP Lauren

6. And your point being, poet??

Two minutes silence. I'm going to agree with Cuts on this one.

7. Sorry I’m sure I’m missing your point?

The police deal with the results of attacks on individuals or groups of individuals on a daily bases, the scale on Thursday and the assailants possible affiliation with a terrorist group is the only difference in this case.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall a time for organised national mourning being set aside after the Hyde Park bombing.

As I previously said, I’m afraid, and I do mean I fear, that we are becoming a nation of professional mourners.

Beebs

8. Point being would not need to be on national news. I know it is a horrible and sickening crime. But the bombing involved more people deaths and was in our capital that why.

Sorry for going off thread a bit

All the terrorist want is to be notice and yes we are giving it to them but we must learn form this and improve.

9. If that is your opinion, why not just take two minutes out of your time everyday? Two minutes is nothing compared to a lifetime of remembering.

I agree with Cuts, Flashy and Beebs.

10. The murder of a child? Would you like to tell that to the parents of the children killed by Robert Black during his career as a child killer whilst mobile in this country?

Beebs

11. Poet thinks it’s late and should shut up.

Just think it sickening bombing we should not forget the people who die on that day.

12. I think that is the best idea you have had. No-one will forget them, just don't come on here talking shite. It's England.

Have you ever lost someone close to you? I will guess the answer is no. In which case, go to bed and go away.

13. No 3p a gallon petrol for you then!

Beebs ;)

14. I was trying, I was trying!!!

Fcukwits like poet (sic) really annoy me. Like walkers in Yorkshire:

"All the gear, no idea"

I shite em.

Poet, if you have any problems with what I have written, please send me a pm - I would be most interested to hear what you have to say.

15. No Poet! Do it here! We'd like to 'hear' as well! :D

Beebs :)