Two military light aircraft collide

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by in_the_cheapseats, Feb 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

2. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but the only suggestion these were military is from a pub landlord. Is it definite yet, or just rumour?
  3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Dit you not read the article, second sentence....

4. "The Ministry of Defence said there were casualties..."

If the planes weren't military, I suspect that the MoD would have said "We've no idea what you're talking about!"

Sad news.
  5. Aye, could they not just be involved with the search and rescue operation?

Edited to add: At first I thought that would mean it was military also, but just a thought that maybe they were just commenting as the crews carrying out the search and rescue. Fair one.
  6. The police normally handle the press when it's a civvy incident, even when military SAR units are involved.
  7. St Athan isn't too far away. There used to be little training planes there used for giving cadets flights. Not sure if they are still there / do that.
  8. Looks like the report is full of hearsay for the moment.

For Mil light ac they could've been a Grob used by University Air Squadrons or a Firefly used by JEFTS.

By the looks of the location, more likely to be UAS as JEFTS is in Lincolnshire.
  9. Looks like RAF markings on the aircraft pictured as well. Can anyone identify the plane from the less mangled wreckage?
  10. That's what made me a bit confused, the information in the article is all over the place. Shall keep watching the page. Cheers.
  11. Edit, mong post
  12. Looking at the picture of the crash site you can clearly see an RAF roundel on the wreckage.
  13. I don't know if its me but if you look at the picture of the wreckage on the BBC website can anyone see the RAF insignia on it? Swear I can see it on part of it.
  14. Ah - beat me to it!
  15. Looks like the wreckage of a Grob Tutor.