Two military light aircraft collide

Anorakist said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but the only suggestion these were military is from a pub landlord. Is it definite yet, or just rumour?
Dit you not read the article, second sentence....

Two light aircraft have crashed in a fatal mid-air collision in south Wales.

The Ministry of Defence said there were casualties in the incident

"The Ministry of Defence said there were casualties..."

If the planes weren't military, I suspect that the MoD would have said "We've no idea what you're talking about!"

Sad news.

Aye, could they not just be involved with the search and rescue operation?

Edited to add: At first I thought that would mean it was military also, but just a thought that maybe they were just commenting as the crews carrying out the search and rescue. Fair one.

St Athan isn't too far away. There used to be little training planes there used for giving cadets flights. Not sure if they are still there / do that.

Looks like the report is full of hearsay for the moment.

For Mil light ac they could've been a Grob used by University Air Squadrons or a Firefly used by JEFTS.

By the looks of the location, more likely to be UAS as JEFTS is in Lincolnshire.

Edit, mong post

Anorakist said:

Edited to add: At first I thought that would mean it was military also, but just a thought that maybe they were just commenting as the crews carrying out the search and rescue. Fair one.
Looking at the picture of the crash site you can clearly see an RAF roundel on the wreckage.

I don't know if its me but if you look at the picture of the wreckage on the BBC website can anyone see the RAF insignia on it? Swear I can see it on part of it.

jew_unit said:
Looks like RAF markings on the aircraft pictured as well. Can anyone identify the plane from the less mangled wreckage?
Looks like the wreckage of a Grob Tutor.

REMEbrat said:
Anorakist said:

Looking at the picture of the crash site you can clearly see an RAF roundel on the wreckage.
The picture wasn't there when I read the article, I'm just too fast for this place. :D

Timely intervention by the Military QFI.

No speculation on cause or cas until the official MoD release please.

RAF training craft involved in a training exercise. No news on the inevitable fatalities. Thoughts with the families. RIP.

Latest Threads