Two medals for Iraq service?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by RP578, Oct 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

This chap received both the Iraq Medal as well as the Iraq Reconstruction Medal for working as a civilian A&E nurse for the UN in Basra.

Not to belittle the lad's contribution, but ... shurely shome mishtake? - Ed

2. Ive got no problem with it. Good effort that man and wear them with pride , some one obviously thought he earned them.

3. Seconded

4. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

No problem at all with it.

I'm curious as to what would be inscribed on the rim of his TELIC medal though, with no regimental number or rank it would make an interesting collectors piece in years to come.

5. Ha Ha Ha, excellent skills

He's on one of the phots in the gallery with the RAP outside the HQ in Bas palace

A right cockerny geezer, wearer of dodgy ron hills and sleevless T-shirts

Infamous for getting a new arrsehole torn on the net by the embassy security boss for having the temerity to point out that the worlds supply of ammo popping off while our colonial cousins compound burnt down might be a bit dangerous

He deservs three gongs for being a good egg alround (all be it civvy LOL)

You got a link?

6. I know 2 people I work with have TELIC medals, they're civvys that were working out there with the MoD.

It will be inscribed with his name....no more...no less.

7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I always thought that you only can only receive on medal per campaign with Korea being the exception, no? Theoretically it should have been either the IM or the IRSM, but not both.

Maybe this only applies to uniformed personnel.

www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/cm70/7000/7000.pdf

8. Who cares, when's he gonna wear them :D

He's never served and he's a bit long in the tooth to join up so I doubt military rules will hold much water with him

They are actually for two different jobs, one the Field hospital gig and the other for running a clinic at the palace

Civvies working for the FCO get the reconstruction medal, as he worked for the military as well you can't really complain.

9. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Fair do's. I guess as a civvie you're not exactly beholden to Queens Regs in any case.

10. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

All civilians working for MoD (civ service, contractors, journos etc.) on Telic and Herrick are entitled to the same campaign medals as the militar, provided they meet the criteria.

11. Correct, I left the Army after 25 years, subsequently served on contract to MoD as a civvy in Iraq and Afghanistan (not security), got same medals as the military my name inscribed on the rim of both.

12. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Seen, understood and have never had a problem with. It's the the fact that he got both medals when one was commissioned specifically to cover those not qualifying for the other.

To wit:

you getting the idea?

In the end, who gives a fuck? The boy done good and if he managed to to grab extra bling for it, more power to his elbow. Not being in the Armed Forces, he can wear what he wants. I just highlighted the point as it seemed to fly in the face of regs.

13. Well done that man. Be interesting to know just how many dropped their NHS jobs and ended up out there.

Bet they have some very interesting stories to tell.

14. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I was wondering the same thing about British Red Cross volunteers. There must be a lot of unsung heroes like that out there.