Two medals for Iraq service?

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
This chap received both the Iraq Medal as well as the Iraq Reconstruction Medal for working as a civilian A&E nurse for the UN in Basra.

Not to belittle the lad's contribution, but ... shurely shome mishtake? - Ed

Iraq honour for West Mid nurse

Oct 6 2008 By Jessica Thomas

A brave West Middlesex Hospital nurse has been awarded two prestigious medals after saving the lives of soldiers and civilians in Iraq.

Paul Saines found himself working on the frontline at the British Field Hospital, while acting as medic to the British Embassy in Saddam Hussein's former palace in Basra, after leaving the UK in March 2004 to respond to an appeal for A&E nurses to work for the UN.

"We would get jet-mortered and rocketed, and we regularly came under attack," said Paul, 45. "I got back in one piece though.

"Because I got to know the soldiers, you are much closer to the people you are looking after. I knew some of the injured who were bought in and I lost some good mates. Some of them just young lads."

Recruited through Frontier Medical, Paul was in Iraq for almost a year and a half before returning in October 2005.

"It was challenging and varied," he said. "One day while working at the palace, I resuscitated a child who had been crushed by a wall in the middle of a hostile crowd, which was quite scary. Then the next day I was shooting across the desert in a special forces helicopter trying to keep a senior government official alive."

Paul was awarded the Iraq Campaign Medal, an honour that normally only soldiers receive, and the Iraq Reconstruction Service Medal on September 3. "I am really proud, it just came out of the blue," he said. "I've been led to believe that it is quite rare for someone like me to get these medals."

Ive got no problem with it. Good effort that man and wear them with pride , some one obviously thought he earned them.

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT
No problem at all with it.

I'm curious as to what would be inscribed on the rim of his TELIC medal though, with no regimental number or rank it would make an interesting collectors piece in years to come.

Ha Ha Ha, excellent skills

He's on one of the phots in the gallery with the RAP outside the HQ in Bas palace

A right cockerny geezer, wearer of dodgy ron hills and sleevless T-shirts

Infamous for getting a new arrsehole torn on the net by the embassy security boss for having the temerity to point out that the worlds supply of ammo popping off while our colonial cousins compound burnt down might be a bit dangerous

He deservs three gongs for being a good egg alround (all be it civvy LOL)

You got a link?

Fugly said:

I'm curious as to what would be inscribed on the rim of his TELIC medal though, with no regimental number or rank it would make an interesting collectors piece in years to come.
I know 2 people I work with have TELIC medals, they're civvys that were working out there with the MoD.

It will be inscribed with his name....no more...no less.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
I always thought that you only can only receive on medal per campaign with Korea being the exception, no? Theoretically it should have been either the IM or the IRSM, but not both.

Maybe this only applies to uniformed personnel.

www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/cm70/7000/7000.pdf

Service already counted towards the award of the Operation TELIC military medal cannot qualify for the civilian medal. There will be some circumstances in which individuals might qualify for both the civilian and the military medal for different periods and differing types of service.

Who cares, when's he gonna wear them :D

He's never served and he's a bit long in the tooth to join up so I doubt military rules will hold much water with him

They are actually for two different jobs, one the Field hospital gig and the other for running a clinic at the palace

Civvies working for the FCO get the reconstruction medal, as he worked for the military as well you can't really complain.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
thegimp said:
Who cares, when's he gonna wear them :D

They are actually for two different jobs, one the Field hospital gig and the other for running a clinic at the palace
Fair do's. I guess as a civvie you're not exactly beholden to Queens Regs in any case.

All civilians working for MoD (civ service, contractors, journos etc.) on Telic and Herrick are entitled to the same campaign medals as the militar, provided they meet the criteria.

smudge67 said:
Fugly said:

I know 2 people I work with have TELIC medals, they're civvys that were working out there with the MoD.

It will be inscribed with his name....no more...no less.
Correct, I left the Army after 25 years, subsequently served on contract to MoD as a civvy in Iraq and Afghanistan (not security), got same medals as the military my name inscribed on the rim of both.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
ViroBono said:
All civilians working for MoD (civ service, contractors, journos etc.) on Telic and Herrick are entitled to the same campaign medals as the militar, provided they meet the criteria.

Seen, understood and have never had a problem with. It's the the fact that he got both medals when one was commissioned specifically to cover those not qualifying for the other.

To wit:

Eligible Personnel
 All civilian Public Servants and those that hold the office of Constable not qualifying for the Iraq military (Campaign) Medal, appointed by HMG to serve in Iraq with, or in support of, the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA), British Office Baghdad (BOB) or British Embassy (including their Regional Offices).
 Civilian Public Servants deployed by HMG to work alongside coalition/multinational forces in Iraq, and who do not qualify for the Iraq military (Campaign) Medal.
 Members of the Armed Forces, working with or seconded to HMG Departments, and who do not qualify for the Iraq (Campaign) Medal.
 Contractors and their employees directly employed by HMG on a full time basis to work for, or in support of the CPA, BOB or British Embassy (including their Regional Offices), or to work alongside coalition/multinational forces in Iraq for HMG, and not qualifying for the Iraq (Campaign) Medal.
 Consultants and their employees directly employed by HMG on a full time basis to work for, or in support of the CPA, BOB or British Embassy (including their Regional Offices), or to work alongside coalition/multinational forces in Iraq for HMG, and not qualifying for the Iraq (Campaign) Medal.
 Any Foreign and Commonwealth nationals who qualify under the above provisions.
Exclusions
Locally employed civilians
you getting the idea?

In the end, who gives a fuck? The boy done good and if he managed to to grab extra bling for it, more power to his elbow. Not being in the Armed Forces, he can wear what he wants. I just highlighted the point as it seemed to fly in the face of regs.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Gust.Avrakotos said:
Well done that man. Be interesting to know just how many dropped their NHS jobs and ended up out there.

Bet they have some very interesting stories to tell.
I was wondering the same thing about British Red Cross volunteers. There must be a lot of unsung heroes like that out there.

on the subject of unusual medals, (no name on his etc) i once worked with a chap who was one of the human shields on Op GRANBY. When he was released he joined his unit and continued.

His (and the other slack handful of BMATT pax) Op GRANBY medals have different dates from the others and only a handful were ever issued, one of the rarest medals of our time.

Gust.Avrakotos said:
Well done that man. Be interesting to know just how many dropped their NHS jobs and ended up out there.

Bet they have some very interesting stories to tell.
3/4 0f all regular Field Hospitals during Telic , 33, 34 fld Hsp were staffed by TA , who the majority worked for the NHS , so effectively they also dropped there NHS jobs and ended up out there . Cracking job they did aswell .

Fugly said:

Strangely enough, I was just looking at Mrs Tubby's Telic medal with a view to getting it mounted. She was serving and left before she ever got to wear it so we never noticed that it is inscribed with "Q103xxxxx A B SURNAME QARANC".

No mention of CPL anywhere on it and everything else is correct including all the details on the back of the box it came in!!

A bit unusual methinks...

Tubs

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Officers 7
watto135 Army Pay, Claims & JPA 10
Flyertiff REME 2