Two looks at lessons learned from the war on terror

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by NEO_CON, Nov 6, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [align=center]Two looks at lessons learned from the war on terror[/align]

Mr. Kaplan examines the differences between those shaping foreign policy at home and those enacting those policies abroad. Includes Q&A. Video

Comparative analysis of the British campaign in Mesopotamia during the First World War,1914-18 and the current campaign in Iraq, 2003-4, focused on an examination of Phase III decisive operations and Phase IV reconstruction operations, including strategic imperatives, operational planning, and the impact of changes during operations.
  2. And here are two other lessons from The War Against Terror (T.W.A.T.):

1. Don't believe anything NeuArbeit tell you.

2. Don't follow the shaved chimp blindly into an invasion of a country (which, although despicable, has nothing to do with the 9/11 attack) with no post conflict strategy beyond a "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" banner on an aircraft carrier.

edited to get round the anti swearing boll*cks.
  3. Thanks Neo Con (never thought I'd say that :lol: )

The Kaplan lecture was particularly interesting - the whole dimension of the Strategic Corporal is very familiar to the UK military, not just from Ireland but also hundreds of years of Colonial policing which has been, if anything, more defintive for British Military doctrine and operations than straightforward warfighting in WWI/II.

The question remains though to what extent the lessons learned are being passed upward to the US Departments of State and Defence and - in particular - the political executive? Are Operations Syrian/Iranian Freedom :wink: also going to be conducted as 'shock and awe', Powell Doctrine type firepower demos, or will future US leadership have the stomach for prolonged 'complex' operations which may appear less 'decisive' but are undoubtedly more effective in the long term?

What Kaplan describes is encouraging but you have to wonder how significant it will be policy level.
  4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Kaplan very interesting. Thanks for the link.
  5. The Future of the United States Marine Corps was a conference that was held at AEI Click on Video

This conference may answers some of the question ask in the above quote but not all of the questions. A closer comparison I think can be made of the British Army and the US Marines they are about the same size. The British Army has a different role than the US Marines but I think certain things are comparable.

This is a long video you may just want to listen to selected People

The conference is divided into 3 sections, Here is what I would listen to first.

Panel I: The Role of the Corps in United States National Security Strategy

His was the best talk and he used Kaplan's book as a basis of his talk--
    Lieutenant Colonel Frank Hoffman, USMC,
    Panel discussion , question and answer is good on all 3 panels

Panel II: Operational Challenges for the United States Marine Corps
    Lieutenant General John F. Sattler, USMC
    F.J. ‘Bing’ West, USMC (Ret.)
    discussion and question and answer very good

General Michael W. Hagee, commandant of the Marine Corps- speaks. Does he get it , I think so.

Panel III: The Transformation of the Corps
    Lieutenant General Jim Mattis, USMC; Marine Corps Combat Development Command, deputy commandant for Combat Development
    Colonel Robert O. Work, USMC (Ret.), This is a good presentation,eventID.1093/transcript.asp----- Transcript of conference

Items mention in the conference that may not be commonly known.

Goldwater-Nichols Act
    LHD-1 Wasp class
    LPD-17 SAN ANTONIO Class
    Landing Craft, Air Cushion (LCAC)
    V-22 Osprey
    CH-60S / MH-60S Knighthawk
    General Michael W. Hagee brochure, I think
    Command of the Commons

DD(X) Multi-Mission Surface Combatant Future Surface Combatant
    Reception, Staging, Onward movement, and Integration [RSOI]
    CH-53X Super Stallion
    Sea Basing