Two Iraq abuse soldiers to appeal

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Mar 24, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

In their defence, the soldiers claimed that the abuse stemmed from an unlawful mission which took place at the aid camp to capture and deter looters.

Stuart Jackson, who represented both Kenyon and Cooley, said after the trial in February that Kenyon felt he had been "singled out" while other soldiers had escaped action.

Mr Jackson said of Cooley: "If he is guilty... many senior officers have been saved from the same fate only by their rank."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4378155.stm

msr

2. I can't really see that their appeal will work. Just because others were involved doesn't absolve them from responsibility for their individual actions. It just means that the others involved should have been done too.

3. IMO they should have got worse than they did, their actions were disgusting!

[​IMG]

This is a human being!

4. Totally agree with G30ps. An appeal? Don't make me laugh. They should stay inside longer.

5. Hows Training going Brandy?

Incidently I think you'll find that the concensus of opinion here on ARSSE amongst those that have voted in the poll is that they are scapegoats. Guilty of stupidity they may have been, possibly in this increasingly Liberal, nannied world we live in you could even perhaps find the remotest possibility of something that maybe considered a 'War Crime' but a 2 yr sentence for posing for Photos? And not one Iraqi looter called to give evidence as far as I am aware. I may be wrong but as far as I understand it their conviction was on the basis of posed photos?