Young Boys Hit By Three Cars On M-Way Updated: 19:38, Thursday October 25, 2007 The father of a boy killed on a motorway has said his seven-year-old son may have been rushing home because he was afraid of the dark. Kieran Coupe and his friend Guy, six, were struck by three cars as they crossed the M56 close to their homes in Runcorn, Cheshire. Killed: Kieran Coupe, sevenThe older boy's father Colin Lambert, 31, suspects his son got lost in woods separating the boys' housing estate from the motorway and started to get worried. And when the pals heard shouts from Mr Lambert and neighbours out looking for them, they may have headed towards the voices - straight across the motorway. Advertisement Kieran and Guy, who lived in the same street and were pals at Murdishaw Primary School, had been playing all afternoon but failed to return home for tea at 5pm. They are thought to have wandered through woods and crossed a footbridge above the motorway, before they doubled back across the Chester-bound carriageway and were run over. Grief-stricken Mr LambertMr Lambert said: "(Kieran) was playing with Guy and he had his little green scooter, a push scooter, and I thought they were in the street and they were safe. "When it got to 5pm, I started to worry because he was afraid of the dark and I knew he would want to be home. "I waited about 40 minutes then I went with my brother and about 12 neighbours to search the woods. "I think he may have gotten lost in the woods and were following the sound of our shouts when they got on to the motorway." Officers have said three saloon cars were involved in the tragedy. Nobody else was injured. Mr Lambert added: "I was very hysterical yesterday. The doctor's called to see me and gave me medication. They've suggested I have counselling." What the Feck were a 7 and 6 year old doing out unsupervised!