Twin Towers warship to enter NY

#2
Does it have 21 guns?
 
#9
I'm not sure I'd be comfortable sailing in something made out of metal that has previously crushed hundreds of people to death......

Just me of course, but I find it a little creepy. Only in America.....
 
#10
I was just reading this, and in some strange way I was quite moved by it. Although, I was also thinking that only the Yanks would think of this, and do it. Imagine the puzzled faces in Whitehall if something similar was proposed here - "Why would we want to do that?"
 
#12
Bet the boys and girls lining the decks as they enter the harbour feel about 20 feet tall

(Do the USN do the same sort of thing that the RN do when entering harbour?)
 
#14
MikeMcc said:
Bet the boys and girls lining the decks as they enter the harbour feel about 20 feet tall

(Do the USN do the same sort of thing that the RN do when entering harbour?)
Yes, the USN have their own version of Procedure Alpha. Having sailed past Ground Zero onboard a Pussers grey, a few years back, I'd imagine it to be a very surreal experience going past the site knowing that part of your bow used to be part of the WTC. I'm not one for sentimentality but it raised the hairs on the back of my neck sailing past the site.

I suppose the UK version would be HMS Portsmouth with part of the Trident Centre glued onto the superstructure and a fresh steaming turd as the ships crest...
 
#16
MikeMcc said:
Bet the boys and girls lining the decks as they enter the harbour feel about 20 feet tall

(Do the USN do the same sort of thing that the RN do when entering harbour?)
Yes they get very drunk and sleep with lady boys.
 
#17
Scoteh said:
I'm not sure I'd be comfortable sailing in something made out of metal that has previously crushed hundreds of people to death......

Just me of course, but I find it a little creepy. Only in America.....
All steel is recycled, maybe your current car included steel from a Toyota that was involved in a fatal accident. Actually, it seems a nice gesture.
 
#18
the_matelot said:
I'd imagine it to be a very surreal experience going past the site knowing that part of your bow used to be part of the WTC. I'm not one for sentimentality but it raised the hairs on the back of my neck sailing past the site.
Not a sceptic fishhead. But I can sort of testify to that. I visited New York back in '99. Even went up the WTC to the resturant. What really made the hair on the back of my neck stand up was after we came down, we sat in the plaza by the fountains. There was this big globe sculptre in the middle and I can remember sitting there looking at it, like it just happened this morning, not over a decade ago.

I've never been back to New York, but I did see a pic online of that very globe, battered to bits, but up on display again in Battery Park. Christ, it gave me the chills.
 
#19
Using steel from the WTC is quite symbolic, I like it.

But did they specifically design it to have two masts to represent the twin towers. If that's so, to say it veers on the side of the gimmick is an understatement.
 
#20
Read today it is on 7 1/2 tons of reused steal.....

How heavy is the whole boat?
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SausageDog Waltenkommando 9
Dwarf Sick Jokes 0
Dwarf Sick Jokes 0

Similar threads

Latest Threads