TV talent shows.

As part of an ongoing skirmish with my teenage daughter on shows like the x-factor etc , I have pointed out some really good singers like kevin skinner (US talent show,chicken catcher guy ) and Ruth Brown (the voice uk) were completley fucked up once the producers got hold of them and started adding dancers, backing bands, bling, stupid haircuts and other associated bollocks. I know that music is an industry like anything else but apart from a lucky few i reckon talent shows are the kiss of death for an aspiring artist.

Just beat her until she shuts the fuck up.

Then finger her while she quietly sobs into her Little Miss dressing gown.[/QUOTE)
Fucking hell....I just came back to say that ..ok I fucked up ...chicken catcher guy won, then ran straight into that fucking epic reply to my post.
Fucking good effort.

Then finger her while she quietly sobs into her Little Miss dressing gown.
There are times when it's a joy to be alive and you realise why, day after day, one keeps coming back to Arrse for the intellectual stimulation.

I don't even know what an X-factor is...
Boss: Changing, you're going to Afghanistan tomorrow.
CM: Why?
Boss: Because I'm telling you.
CM: But it's Christmas in 2 weeks.
Boss: Really? Send me regular emails.

People will only get to the TV stages of any of these crap shows if they've got a "back story", you know the kind of thing; "I'm doing this for me Granny who died of (insert incurable disease here) two years ago and her last words were "Be a star for me" and I know she is looking down on me tonight". Talent has got fuck all to do with it.

I often wonder what would have happened to some of the biggest names in pop history if they'd had to submit to X-factor style competition before making it big. I feel fairly certain that some of those that manage to sell-out arena tours now wouldn't have made it past the audition stages.

Are these shows stifling new talent?

(Yes, I know it's the NAAFI, but I don't see why we can't have reasoned debate in here too!)

The only thing I can think of when I see these tv shows are "why can't one of those nutters with a knife or gat be in the crowd?" That would make good viewing.

I often wonder what would have happened to some of the biggest names in pop history if they'd had to submit to X-factor style competition before making it big. I feel fairly certain that some of those that manage to sell-out arena tours now wouldn't have made it past the audition stages.

Are these shows stifling new talent?

(Yes, I know it's the NAAFI, but I don't see why we can't have reasoned debate in here too!)
My bold. New talent?
The Voice was a complete farce when it came to amateurs , many of them had already been on stage or TV ( Denise Pearson springs to mind ).

as its the NAAFI bum , boobies & boaby .

My bold. New talent?
The Voice was a complete farce when it came to amateurs , many of them had already been on stage or TV ( Denise Pearson springs to mind ).

as its the NAAFI bum , boobies & boaby .
New talent as in singers and bands that don't go on these programmes. The type of band you find playing a set down your local, who have to send hundreds of demo tapes to record labels in the hopes of getting signed.

I look at the likes of One Direction that come from these shows - I see their money, their fame, the thousands of screaming girls everywhere they go and I can only think one thing.

They might have all of that but at least I've never sucked that little Irish queer off.

Samain, have you done it yet? How does your daughter's pudendum feel?

New talent as in singers and bands that don't go on these programmes. The type of band you find playing a set down your local, who have to send hundreds of demo tapes to record labels in the hopes of getting signed.
Ah gotcha^~......Happily our local is now closed but I don't think they ever had bands playing in the lounge ( the weekend entertainment consisted of blue flashing lights ,sirens and lots of blood )though I do remember one pub in the town that did have bands playing until it was taken back in-house by the Brewery.
A bloke who worked beside my old man used to manage a band , I have a demo CD somewhere , tbh they were ok but nothing special or that I hadn't heard before and I guess thats one of the problems in getting signed , not sounding like a tribute band.