tv shows worth a watch but you need the internet

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by Grumblegrunt, Jun 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

there are several shows we cant get straight away if at all as sky often snatches them up, they get cancelled or they are a series behind when channel 5 buys them like burn notice or ncis.

a as lot of us torrent I thought I might see if its worth putting up shows definately worth downloading. whether to watch yourself or to send over seas to the fat storemen avoiding their pft commitment

for shows that have finished then battlestar galactica was a good remake which didnt do itself to death athough caprica didnt quite make the grade despite promise and tits in it.

spartacus blood and sand and spartacus god of the arena will defo be popular - blood and tits

for new shows then check out falling skies which started this week and looks like it might be worth a watch so you will have to play catchup week on week Falling Skies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

as discussed elsewhere a lot of the older shows we liked are out there if you want to hunt them out like the sandbaggers or hogans heroes.
  2. Grumblegrunt

found another couple of interest burn notice season 5 has started as has something called combat hospital which looks to be holby city - kandahar branch :)

oh and primeval series 5 is finished.
  3. Don't tell me, in falling skies, about 5 yanks save the world from the aliens and bring about peace and prosperity for one and all.
  4. Anyone watching Game of Thrones? I've quite liked it.
    Rome was also a good recent one.
  5. just discovered sons of anarchy. fucking good so far.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Cannot recommend 'Southland' enough, folks. It's a really, really good cop drama series based in LA. It can be a little overly dramatic but the concept is quite gritty and realistic. It's not a crime serial, it's not so much about solving murders as it is understanding life for a South Los Angeles Cop. Get it doon'loaded.

If you've ever seen Band of Brothers, the lad who plays Bull (Michael Cudlitz) is a major character.

For a similar (and far superior but more available) cop drama, watch the Wire. Easily the best modern drama show that's ever been on telly. Totally stunning.
  7. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

agreed - got all three series here. the fourth should be on the way later this year. it's the same people who did 'the shield' for the most part, so if you havent seen that then you'll really like it. 'the wire' is also, as YMP says, stunning.
  8. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

Sons of Anarchy - great fun, especially when you remember the lead tough blonde debuted by getting buggered gutless in some coming of age gay drama a few years ago, set in Manchester.

Breaking Bad - the blackest comedy about a chemistry teacher down on his luck who makes meth for a side living and gets into all kinds of scrapes.

Weeds - the sexy Mary Louise Parker plays a recent widow who turns to selling grass to keep herself in the life etc

Californication - about a sex addict of a writer and quite dry

The League - brilliant comedy about 4 loserish guys running a fantasy league
  9. Combat Hospital is interesting so far. Its supposed to take place in 2006 at Kandahar at a hospital run by Canadians. The clash comes between a doctor, MAJ Kincaid (Michelle Borth) and the Hospital Commander COL Marks (Elias Koteas). You can guess which one wins; this isn't M*A*S*H after all. So far in the two shows I've seen the colonel has reamed the major's ass out twice and has threated to send her back home to Canada (but he won't because she's a hottie) I was in a combat hospital during Gulf War I and it's true to life. Doctors can really be insufferable SOBs. I just kept reminding myself though that they put their pants on one leg at a time as any other mortal.
  10. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

11. Grumblegrunt

finally got around to watching bbc's outcasts and I didnt think it was that bad, certainly worth a series two I thought. some chat about a closure movie like serenity or even novelising it which might work.

survivors was bit lame but we do tend to be a bit gutless and not stick with sci fi very well or try to make it into something its not which loses the audience you want. rome was like this and there should have been 2 more series but it got cancelled, apparently the bbc messed it up by cutting the first two shows into one so they could show more nudity under the claim that we brits know more about the romans than the yanks.

re combat hospital - the canucks did one based in FYR called zone of separation another 1 series wonder set in the peacekeeping world.

with falling skies I think we are stuck with the fact that 'invasion' and 'doctor who' aside we will end up with the yanks being the only ones with the firepower to actually take anyone on. according to discovery the mod is relying on trident to kill of any intergalactic bugs (like anything which has flown this far wouldnt be able to swat a rocket out of the sky.)

one the positive side I have managed to grab the first dvd of potty time and for you old timers rutland weekend television :)
  12. Grumblegrunt

he he - just put zone of separation on in the back ground - you wont believe how crap the beret wearing is!