TV research - looking for ex-serving paras, FFL and other elite world forces

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by suttonah, May 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear Arrse members

RDF are currently developing a new documentary series for Channel 4, focussing on the amazing strength (both mental and physical) that it takes to achieve 'military fitness' and to qualify to serve in some of the world's elite forces. The programme would focus on 3 days of bespoke challenges set by the military elite to play to their own strengths and to outmanouvre the other teams, BUT the exact format is still in development and we need guidance to find out what would and would not work. We really want a change to show the public a glimpse of the sheer tenacity and committment it takes to be part of the world's best. The programme could be an exciting, engaging and informative look at what it takes to get through and also provide a good platform to talk about the history of why some of these forces came into being.

I have spoken to many paras and marines and am really keen to speak to others, particularly to anyone who's served in the French Foreign Leigion.

We only have a few days left of the first part of the research but really believe we have the essence of a fantastic programe which would really help the public appreciate the sheer mental and physical lengths someone needs to go to to qualify to be part of these units.

Could anyone who's recently retired from any of the elite forces please speare a few minutes to get in touch and speak to me a little further about the idea. Like I said, we're keen to seek guidance at this point and to find out how the many different forces differ as well as their similarities. Please also note we're keen to make the programme about what can be talked about in the public arena and are not trying to find out anything that's protected.

Please contact me as soon as possible on anne.sutton@rdftelevision.com or 020 7013 4081

With many thanks

Anne

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Commando Tests

The following Tests must be passed by the volunteers

Bottom Field Tests

Wearing boots, CS95 trousers and jacket, carrying 21 lb (9.5 kg) fighting order and personal weapon:

30 ft (9.1 m) rope climb
    Bottom Field assault course in under 5 minutes
    200 metre fireman's carry, carrying own and colleague's equipment and weapon, in 90 seconds
    Full regain over the water tank

Criteria Tests

Undertaken during the course, and must be passed to progress.

4 Mile Speed March - as a formed body in 40 minutes carrying 21 lb (9.5 kg) fighting order and personal weapon
    6 Mile Speed March - as a formed body in 60 minutes carrying 21 lb (9.5 kg) fighting order and personal weapon
    12 Mile Load Carry - as a formed body in 4 hours and 40 minutes carrying 69 lb (31 kg) marching order and personal weapon

Commando Tests

Completed on consecutive days during the final test week:

Endurance Course - 2 miles (3.2 km) of cross country and water obstacles followed by a 4-mile (6.4 km) road run in 73 minutes carrying 21 lb (9.5 kg) fighting order and a personal weapon, followed immediately by a range shoot in a 25m range simulating 200m, in which 6/10 targets must be hit.
    9 Mile Speed March - as a formed body in 90 minutes carrying 21 lb (9.5 kg) fighting order and personal weapon
    Tarzan Assault Course - in under 12 minutes carrying 21 lb (9.5 kg) fighting order and personal weapon
    30 Miler - 30-mile (48 km) cross-country march over Dartmoor in 8 hours carrying 21 lb (9.5 kg) fighting order and personal weapon.

easy peasy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. What about PRT and Van Helsing (of this Parish)? Their "amazing strength" has been a comfort to me many times.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Do you have anything similar on the comparative requirements of the French Foreign Legion and the British Legion

From what I've seen British Legionnaires often appear to be highly decorated

• Like Like x 3
  5. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

Error #1 - asking about service life on ARRSE.
    Error #2 - timing, what with Princess Productions still very much in people's memories
    Error #3 - research - maybe a courtesy email to Admin first to see if your post would attract more than comments about naked pics?
    Error #4 - ending your post with a women's name - hence attracting comments about naked pics

6. Who says DavidCameron doesn't get it?

7. What auldbaldy sed, although paras and french foriegn flip flops may struggle with that

8. I could do all that. I just choose not to because it would involve getting out of bed.

• Like Like x 2
  9. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Now, now children play nice.

10. Who thinks this shit up?

11. Paras, Booties, FFL, LOF, pah I say and pah again…their training and dedication is nothing compared to what is required in the RLC – Have you any idea what it takes to be able to eat that many pies, or even to be able to stomach a half frozen “D” shaped pasty.

Lightweights (literally) the lot of them! :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. I believe I may be able to help.

My background. I spent a large part of my service in charge of MBLUs', small troops of carefully selected NCOs and men, whose main role was to provide close sp to dirty ops.

We trained hard - I trained them mercilessly in fact - we had to. Moving long distances with heavy loads, and assembling, operating, and dissembling heavy, complex and expensive technical equipment, both day and night, required us to be so. In addition, my men required extraordinary agility of mind, as we never knew from one minute to the next what kind of incoming we would be required to deal with, and what noxious substances lay within that incoming. 2 years was the max each man (not women as although some could meet the physical reqt they could not deal with the horrors of what we were faced with) could spend with the unit- any more an it was a case of man down.

Happy to speak further. Please pm me as necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  13. You do know that 75% of the members of this website won't understand that?

(Made me larf though).

14. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

While the remaining 25% are still affected by the horrors they endured at the MBLU.!! :crying:

15. Thanks for those kind words. You probably don't realise it but I feel as if all our efforts went largely unrecognised and unrewarded - small recognition by those who understand what we endured is of tremendous comfort.