TV Polls- does anyone take notice?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Jun 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

With the sad news of another loss of one of our own in Afghanistan,Sky news was running a poll-

Will Afghanistan turn into another Iraq? The yes votes for the poll stood at 78%

Anyway,do you think that anyone takes any notice?Particulary anyone in the government?y guess is no,they dont.
    Your veiw's lads!

2. Apart from the fact that pretty much no one in civvy street, and almost as few military types really understand what is going on, what value does a poll of this sort have? It means absolutly zip, nada, nothing. It is a typical media ploy of using a knee jerk reaction to screw cash out of viewers (by charging them to text in...) by convincing them that on this emotive subject, their opinion counts.

The only use I can see from these polls is that the media will tailor their coverage to meet the expectations of the public. If the polls say that we will fail, then the broadcasters will show only the stuff that makes it look like we ARE failing. If the poll suggested that we would acheive the aims quickly and safely then that would be what is shown.

Am I being a cynic again?

3. No, you're spot on.

4. I agree entirely with Your first point. however I think that the media has a darker motive than simply swinging behind any poll. It is using any problem in the campaigns in Iraq or in Afghanistan as a stick to beat the government with. This may mean hanging the guys out there to dry if it suits their purpose.

5. you could have found out by adding a poll to this thread :wink:

6. [quote="Sven
    I agree entirely with Your first point. however I think that the media has a darker motive than simply swinging behind any poll. It is using any problem in the campaigns in Iraq or in Afghanistan as a stick to beat the government with. This may mean hanging the guys out there to dry if it suits their purpose.[/quote]

Precisely. If most of the hacks that pass for journalists were actually any good at their own job they would have taken Bliar down by now... Soldiers who cant publically defend themselves are a much easier target for Media/Human Rights types who lack moral courage. At least the army know how to use their ammo..

7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Any more of that & i'll get pentwyn to stick a poll where..... :p (Nah,on second thought's,that'd be too cruel..! :twisted: )

Seroiusly tho,Sky new's run a poll every morning for whatever but none of the other new's stations seem to.And I agree with the point's raised in that the majority of civvies probably answer a poll without a clue of what they're answering too.