TV Licensing Moves In On MoD Sites

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MOD_Oracle, Nov 9, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My room (complete with TV, DVD player and set-top box) got checked yesterday whilst I wasn't there. They left a nice little note for me though. Good job I've got a TV licence.

2. Yep - cos servicemen and women not buying TV licences are the biggest problem these guys face.

How about it's merely easier to involve our chain of command in hunting down those evildoers who haven't got one, than having to go after all the millions of civvies in this country who haven't got one either.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Just another Feckin tax!

4. Still can't believe that criminals (those in jail, i hasten to add) get a free tv licence, and the armed forces personnel have to pay!

Ridiculous!!!

5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The usual TV Licencing (actually the BBC/Capita) scare tactics. As D_D has pointed out, mil pers are a soft target for these leeches to collect the television tax.

Why is my room in the Mess considered a separate dwelling for the purposes of TV Licencing, but cannot count as one for the purpose of claiming a Council Tax discount?

6. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

It would be interesting to see if your right to privacy is protected underthe Landlords & Tenents Act with regard to unauthorised access without a warrant.

Bt the way, I think it was when DLB was in the seat at Aldershot he bought a single licence for the garrison and invited them to inspect it at any time but refused them access to all military land under the Official Secrets Act 1911. He pulled the same stunt when they tried to poll tax soldiers and refused to supply a list of personnel as this would be a breach of security and persec.

7. Welcome to the real world!

Cough up and shut up!

8. Remember, you don't have to let them in, by law. They can then go to court to gain entry, but the chances of them spending the money involved are negligible.

9. Says the man who gives his location as 'Tangier'...

10. One of the things that would make it more pleasurable to serve would be an exemption from this rule. Even guys that live out. At present you get feck all for serving!

11. What's the score if you have a home licence but take a TV with you on a 2 week course?

12. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I understand that whilst COs are obliged to allow the TV Licensing creatures onto camp, and provide a list occupied accommodation, he is not permitted to give names, since this breaches the Data Protection Act.

13. In my day,guard commander would keep these cretins at the gate,whilst dispatching the guard to forewarn all those in the blocks---all tvs into lockers(as in COs block inspections)--mind,tv owners tended to be few,and then only a monochrome portable.As for poll tax,I didn't realise those living in had to pay it,shock.What would the going rate be for 4 sharing a 12x12 room?Excuse my civvie ignorance.

14. I'm a student when I'm not in green, and we get the TV licensing people on at us all the time. Apparently, my name has been passed to their Enforcement Division for further action, as I'm on their list of people who've paid.

It's true, I haven't. Because I don't have a TV. But as far as they're concerned, I seem to be guilty until proven innocent. Should their goons pay me a visit, I fully intend to refuse them entry without a search warrant. If they're going to presume that I'm effectively a thief, I see no reason to go out of my way to be helpful, not even a little.

smithie.