TV Licences

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by DesktopCommando, Jul 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. "All Single Living in personnel are to have a photo copied copy of their TV Licence to the SSM by COP "

    "Must have Licence behind door"

    Why WTF has it got to do with the Army, regardless of singly accommodation do they need to see my own personal details with a licencing authority they have nothing to do with, If I am naughty and get caught its a civil offence, I pay fine and if anything else is involved then it goes to military !

    Do they wanna see any speeding tickets and fines in my civilian car, so they can agai me ?
  2. B_AND_T

    B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

    Not been to BFG then?
  3. yeah but paid them on the spot ;)
  4. Erm, because it's on the standing orders for your camp & is a prevalent offence for singlies to have unlicenced TVs?

    Again it's a while since I left the mob but in my day these things had to be disclosed, especially if one was going for vetting or one's job involved driving...
  5. A British soldier is under British Law wherever he may be, Which means by all technicality you should have a TV license while your in Afghan let alone Single Living Accom. Maybe we should get a couple of Bods from the RMP to start wandering around with detector kit :D

    If you have a TV license just photocopy it and send it, Theres no details on a TV license the army doesnt already have. If you dont have a TV license get one you cheap Bar Steward and stop whining like a frenchman who has lost his garlic :D
  6. You only legally require a license if you watch "live" TV, if you only watch DVD's, use it as a monitor or watch streaming TV then you do not require a license.

    The RMP could wander about camp all they want with a detector, there's no such thing as TV detectors or detector vans.

    Being subject to British law overseas is somewhat irrelevant, you adhere to the laws of that country even if it means driving on the wrong side of the road, you do not need a license if you are overseas unless local laws require one.
  7. I think you need to remove the capacity to watch live TV to get away with that. I know one of the big things they do in Civvy street is use the implied right of an open gate to enter your property and look through the window to see if your watching telly. A Sign with no entry without appointment is enough to stop that.
  8. So what, they can't tell if it's a DVD or live TV, if they knock on the door tell them to get stuffed.
  9. You can get a refund on you TV license if you are away for a certain time (3 months I think)
    Pads should have TV licenses as well, is the SSM going to wonder round the quarters checking?
    Obviously the SSM doesnt have a proper job.
  10. There was never such a thing as T.V. detecors, the vans just had a bit of tin foil selotaped to the roof.
  11. There is a culture of distortion about TV licenses. TV Licensing (the organisation) does not exist, it is a trading name of the BBC. Anyone who pitches up at the gate claiming to be from TV Licensing is lying. All TV License "inspectors" are civilian employees of Capita, they have no rights of entry to camp (or anywhere else), in fact as they are not CRB checked or vetted in any fashion they should be denied entry on security grounds.
  12. I'm sure we have been here before. The MOD have an agreement with the BBC/Capita to be allowed access to camps and have done for some years.
  13. Excellent, so I have a massive 32" telly hooke up to my high powered PC, I download literally ALL of what I watch (which isn't live... I don't need a license? :)
  14. Anyone can get a job with Capita as an "Inspector", it's a good way to recce somewhere isn't it.

    No you don't need one.

    Standing Orders however may say you do.
  15. msr

    msr LE

    Or do the job properly: Withdrawing implied right of access and personal details