TV in Germany

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Mongoose, Jun 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Greetings, a friend of mine has just returned from playing in the sand and she's now back in Germany.

She's bought a lovely new TV, but it can only pick up one channel. What does she need to get more? A digi box? Or just like an aerial.

Any help from experts appreciated,

cheers.

2. That channel will be BFBS the only English speaking channel in Germany transmitted for the Armed Forces in Garrison areas which is received through a standard aerial. If she wants more English speaking channels she will have to get sky installed.

3. Or speak to to the QM's dept and get hold of a BFBS digi box.

4. I dunno mate she had like BBC one, two, ITV, Channel 4 and BFBS 1 before she went on her old tv without any form of box (oh and a shopping channel)

5. Are they issued or do you have to pay? She's only attached to the lot she's with so they aren't that friendly towards her

6. I quote:

German TV signals use the same PAL standard to carry the colour video data as do their English counterparts but the sound encoding is very slightly different. To get technical for one moment, the sound is frequency modulated onto a carrier in both cases. But the carrier offset frequency is not the same. The UK standard is unique to the UK. The German standard is used in most of the rest of Western Europe, excluding France.

What this means is that a UK TV will display pictures but not sound in Germany. You can have a UK set modified but, unless you have a very expensive TV this is most likely not worthwhile. Of course, if you only use your TV with a satellite receiver that has a SCART connection then you will not be worried about this.

The next problem is with the frequencies on which the TV is transmitted. Modern UK TVs use UHF frequencies only but in Germany some channels are broadcast direct to air on VHF and many households have cable systems which use hyperband tuners.

The bottom line is that, without modificatons, a UK will not be of much use to you in Germany.

The cost to conver a UK TV was about 150 Euro but that was back in 2001.

7. Yep, That is correct but I think you will find that in this day an age a decent TV (and even a few cheap ones) will have a multi-system tuning system fitted and will be able to side step this problem

8. Sounds like her new TV does not have a digital tuner required to pick up the digital freeview channels but her old one had. If this is the case then Batfinks idea will work.

9. They were issued from QM's. They were rolled out across BFG around about 2006. Picks up the same channels as you get on tour.

10. I have a set top box with a satellite dish pointed to Astra 2D
    Perfect for BBC 1,2,3,4 ITV 1,2,3, etc, etc.
    No Sky fees, in fact it´s all free

All you need is a TV licence. (Tongue in cheek)

11. Sounds good, I'll point her in that direction.

For clarity its a German TV she got from Media Markt

12. A social life.

13. I'll pass those pearls of wisdom on to her

14. BFBS here. If you PM me with her details, I can give you the correct info.

BFBS has rolled out multi-channel TV throughout BFG over the last 2 or 3 years, but there are still some places that have either not been completed yet, or are not being done due to Op Borona - Osnabruck for example.

It also depends on the location and type of accommodation whether she'll be on a cable system, or a DTH system with a dish on the property, and whether she needs to speak to the SSO, Estate Warden, or unit QM.

Once she's got a BFBS set-top-box (and a viewing card if needed - cable boxes don't need them) she'll get the 6 channel package the same as on ops.

BFBS

15. Pm sent ;d