TV from my childhood :-)

Sadly there were no innuendos. There was no Master Bates or Seaman Staines and the cabin boy was called Tom. Still good tv though
It's quite funny that there are those who are prepared to declare an undying nostalgia for something they patently don't actually remember.

The 'Rising Damp' episodes - sex pest Rigsby - are on Youtube. The first series scripts were run through at St. Paul's Church Hall in Hammersmith. For some series of RD they ran through at Sulgrave Boys Club in Shepherd's Bush. Then they recorded the episodes at the YTV studios in Leeds.

Sulgrave Club on Goldhawk Road W12 8EU was used by the likes of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, Tony Hancock, Sid James, The Who, Jim Davidson, Frankie Howard. And as rehearsal space for shows like ‘Dixon of Dock Green’ and ‘The Bill’. I hear the club is still going.

In those days they recorded sitcoms like 'Steptoe and Son' at BBC Lime Grove and then the old BBC TV Centre, and Rising Damp episodes in Leeds, in a studio with a live audience. How those actors performed essentially live theatre, with cameras and audiences, is impressive.
1559931398232.png

I still love to watch Rigsby. He is such a believable character. A few years ago, there was a theatrical tour of Rising Damp, this time with Don Warrington in the role of stage manager. I was gutted that the tour dates did not include Newcastle Theatre Royal, as I had seen the stage version of Porridge there a year os so back, with Shaun Williamson (Bumbling Barry on EastEnders) as Fletch.

"
Monday at 17:21
New #241
Great thread, a few shows that don’t seem to get a mention so far
Daktari, some kind of wildlife gig in Africa"

Clarence the cross-eyed lion......
Old Clarence started it all and he was a proper film star back in the day with Marshall Thompson aka Dr Tracy. The Lion once had a BFO pair of ridiculous glasses, dropped when they made the first spin-off TV Daktari in 1965. Makes you feel old don't it.

Clarence, the Cross-Eyed Lion (1965) - IMDb

Talking about old, another Lion was World Cup Willie in 1966.

If you're looking for reverse snobbery, I got married in 1987. With every available penny going toward the mortgage, for the first 2 years we had a portable b&w telly before buying an ex-rental Granada 26" for £25. It came with a 5 year guarantee which we later renewed for £5. Probably the best bargain I've ever come across. 10 years viewing for £30 and repaired 3 times (in home) in that period.

The portable telly has featured in a recent advert in which it has a colour picture. I wonder how they did that. (It's the orange 12" Hitachi). Still got it in the loft.

Redirect Notice

If you're looking for reverse snobbery, I got married in 1987. With every available penny going toward the mortgage, for the first 2 years we had a portable b&w telly before buying an ex-rental Granada 26" for £25. It came with a 5 year guarantee which we later renewed for £5. Probably the best bargain I've ever come across. 10 years viewing for £30 and repaired 3 times (in home) in that period.

The portable telly has featured in a recent advert in which it has a colour picture. I wonder how they did that. (It's the orange 12" Hitachi). Still got it in the loft.

Redirect Notice
Actually,I wasn't. Its just my weird sense of humour.
No offence meant.

Anyone one remember Sam Kydd and Orlando? Can't find any clips unfortunately
Sam's lad popped up recently in a London freebie paper. He's also in the media business. He's in the process of selling Sam's gaff having invested his time as well in adjusting it's architecture.

One of the living room walls was covered in photos of Sam's film work.

One of the stalwarts of that generation was also Victor Maddern another 'go to guy' for the chirpy/ hardfaced/ military nco/ gangster/ cockney wide boy / role.

Edit: to add - Harry Fowler, the 'real' cockney geezer of the 'Army Game' & 'Bootsie & Snudge'. Just reminded of this gent in seeing him for a poloroid moment in The Longest Day' Bless him.

Last edited:
One of our neighbours (next door but two) bought the first colour TV in the street in, I think, 1964. It was a laugh as the colour transmitter in our area wasn't up and running for another year.

Latest Threads