TV from my childhood :-)

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Moondial. At times ******* terrifying. Brilliantly done.

The black and white versions manged to hang on until the 70s but were then effectively banned.

I managed to find a collected selection of these, and they are interesting but unlikely to turn me into a monster.
That lizard has a fine pair of testicles.

I am also a big fan of non-PC 70s comedy. Rising Damp, Steptoe, Alf Garnett. You may be surprised to learn that. Close on their heels are Porridge and Get Some In.

There was a spin off of Porridge with fletch now free, and making his way in the world without crime. Occasionally Gobder would feature, now working as a lorry driver, and Fletch's daughter's boyfriend. The first episode included a few old faces from Slade Prison, including soon-to-be-ex-screw, Mr MacKay, on the same train as Fletch for a job interview in London. This is the only episode in my opinion, that matched any from Porridge.

I am also a big fan of non-PC 70s comedy. Rising Damp, Steptoe, Alf Garnett. You may be surprised to learn that. Close on their heels are Porridge and Get Some In.

There was a spin off of Porridge with fletch now free, and making his way in the world without crime. Occasionally Gobder would feature, now working as a lorry driver, and Fletch's daughter's boyfriend. The first episode included a few old faces from Slade Prison, including soon-to-be-ex-screw, Mr MacKay, on the same train as Fletch for a job interview in London. This is the only episode in my opinion, that matched any from Porridge.
It was called 'Going Straight' IIRC - OK but not as good as Porridge.

Wightsparker

War Hero
Mr M: "So what, Fletcher, are you going to do with your life when you finally leave these hallowed walls?"

F: "Oh, Mr MacKay, I'm going to be a missionary in Scotland."

GreyArea

War Hero
Spinball was in 2000AD.
Kids Rule OK was heavily criticised for the violent content. It was probably fair enough,the violence would make Sam Peckinpah wince.
Action eventually merged with Battle.

I'm afraid Spinball was in Action. (You might be confusing it with "Harlem Heroes" which was in 2000AD)

Action (comics) - Wikipedia

I also know this because I'm the proud owner of nos 1 - 1000 of 2000AD which I eventually gave up collecting in July of 96 at the ripe old age of 29 (after collecting it from the start in Feb 1977 when I was 9).

Unfortunately by then the editors had decided to take the magazine down the "Lad's Mag" route and most of the strips were dog toffee written by tossers who had grown up with comic and were now making it a pastiche of its former glory (with a few exceptions, namely the old guard who had been with the comic since its start).

Pat Mills - Wikipedia
John Wagner - Wikipedia
Alan Grant (writer) - Wikipedia
Gerry Finley-Day - Wikipedia

If you're interested in the history of why Action was banned and the rise of 2000AD watch the documentary "Future Shock! The Story of 2000AD"

Last edited:
I'm afraid Spinball was in Action. (You might be confusing it with "Harlem Heroes" which was in 2000AD)

I also know this because I'm the proud owner of nos 1 - 1000 of 2000AD which I eventually gave up collecting in July of 96 at the ripe old age of 29 (after collecting it from the start in Feb 1977 when I was 9).

Unfortunately by then the editors had decided to take the magazine down the "Lad's Mag" route and most of the strips were dog toffee written by tossers who had grown up with comic and were now making it a pastiche of its former glory (with a few exceptions, namely the old guard who had been with the comic since its start).

Pat Mills - Wikipedia
John Wagner - Wikipedia

If you're interested in the history of why Action was banned and the rise of 2000AD watch the documentary "Future Shock! The Story of 2000AD"

2000AD had several future sports.
Harlem Heroes played Aeroball. Akin to American Football with Jetpacks. Sadly I can't think of it without Quidditch sneaking in now.
Mean Arena featured "Street Football" played in evacuated areas of actual towns.
Mean Team was similar (can't remeber the name of the game but it was essentially Capture the Flag with live ammo) but played in a building constructed in a stadium.

Lion & Thunder comic I used to get in the early 70s. One comic, but they came out as separate annuals at Xmas. On the Lion side, there was Robot Archie and his two modern day adventurer controllers. On the Thunder side was Steel Commando - a Second World War Terminator, created by a British boffin, and controlled by a medically downgraded lance-jack, and unleashed upon the Nazis.

I really liked Black Max. A First World War Luftwaffe major. IIRC, in the early days, he commanded a squadron of fighters. But he kept giant bats, whom he unleashed upon the Royal Flying Corps, ripping their planes out of the sky. As the war went on, he never replaced his pilots, and just let the bats do the fighting. His nemesis was Lt Tim Wilson of the RFC.

Mid 70s, and Valiant merged with Lion. I remember the front cover with Captain Hurricane shaking hands with the Steel Commando. Who can forget Captain hurricane's raging furies? Where all the pent up aggression, all the shit he has taken throug the episode all builds up, and he just goes mental on the Germans, and sometimes the Japs, in a round of frenzied violence.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Pat Mills - Wikipedia
John Wagner - Wikipedia

I was interested to see that the editor was subjected to ' a vigorous attack' from the bastion of decency and good behaviour, Frank Bough. What a shining example to the youth was he.

No, Mind Your Language was about evening classes for English as a foreign language. There were Indian, Pakistani, Chinese, Japanese, French, Italian, Greek, German, and Swedish students in the class.

Frankie Abbot was a character from Please Sir, and later The Fenn Street Gang, about them as school leavers. IIRC, Frankie had a short spell in the Army.
You used to see the various ethnic member of the Mind Your Language cast popping up in various film's and telly serie's as ethnic characters. The Greek/Turkish bloke popped up as a character in one of the Indiana Jone's movie's.

Yes, and the Japanese fella was in an episode of Porridge, as Grouty's tailor. Both the Greek and Italian guys appeared in Minder as Mediterranean gentlemen. Dino Shafeek was in It Aint Half Hot Mum as the Char Wallah.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I had a brain storm this morning and thought of this.
Who remembers The Looney Tunes Cartoons on a Saturday?

One of my favourite cartoons

I’m watching this on the telly now and having a bloody good laugh.
Makes a change from politics and the news.

Last edited:

ericferret

War Hero
All great classic TV programmes. The problem with children's TV today is that it's all kids stuff

I remember watching one childrens program set in the future where they all had numbers instead of names. A male character says to his secretary "Could you get us some tea 44D, big cups"

I saw a review of the show shortly afterwards in which the reviewer mused on how much of the humour went over the childrens heads!!!

Sadly can't remember the name, probably still worth a watch.

I had a brain storm this morning and thought of this.
Who remembers The Looney Tunes Cartoons on a Saturday?

One of my favourite cartoons

I’m watching this on the telly now and having a bloody good laugh.
Makes a change from politics and the news.
ACME had an awful lot to answer for.....

st bruno

War Hero
Lion & Thunder comic I used to get in the early 70s. One comic, but they came out as separate annuals at Xmas. On the Lion side, there was Robot Archie and his two modern day adventurer controllers. On the Thunder side was Steel Commando - a Second World War Terminator, created by a British boffin, and controlled by a medically downgraded lance-jack, and unleashed upon the Nazis.

I really liked Black Max. A First World War Luftwaffe major. IIRC, in the early days, he commanded a squadron of fighters. But he kept giant bats, whom he unleashed upon the Royal Flying Corps, ripping their planes out of the sky. As the war went on, he never replaced his pilots, and just let the bats do the fighting. His nemesis was Lt Tim Wilson of the RFC.

Mid 70s, and Valiant merged with Lion. I remember the front cover with Captain Hurricane shaking hands with the Steel Commando. Who can forget Captain hurricane's raging furies? Where all the pent up aggression, all the shit he has taken throug the episode all builds up, and he just goes mental on the Germans, and sometimes the Japs, in a round of frenzied violence.

Black Max and his bats was one of my favorite story's could not remember his name until now.

Black Max

Latest Threads