TV Doc - Officers & Gentlemen - Military History Channel

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by Fat_Cav, Oct 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tried the search function but couldn't see anything

New TV doc on the Military History Channel on Tuesday nights at 9pm.

Pretty good. However, I have to say I was surprised to see a 44 yr old on Officer recruit training (To be a Naval doctor). Some of the others seemed to think it was akin to some 'Jolly day Out'

There's an RM OR on it. Big fella, but he's not highlighted much. There's a drippy luvvie type, a dynamic go-getting head-strong Project manager (femme) and the usual plummy 'I'm doing this for my country' type

The lack of physical fitness in some and the drive to succeed in others is shocking. How the hell do these people get through the selection process?

Officers and Gentlemen - TV Shows on History

Frantic Friday? Looks more like slightly-discomforted-with-some-mild-inconvinience Friday.

Anyone else catch it?

2. Title's wrong though. Naval officers are NOT gentlemen. Suppose it sounds better than "Officers But Not Gentlemen, this week on history!"

3. I quite enjoyed the first episode, although this type of reality TV has been done to death in my opinion. I also found it strange that a 44 year old potential medical officer has to do basic training - he said this was his second time around as a Naval Officer, does his previous service not count?
    Surprised that the OCdt's don't have their own rooms - males bunked up 6 to a room and females doubling up. Is that Navy policy to get them used to the cramped conditions at sea? Serious question.
    The most cringing part for me was the drill instructor. I asume DI's from all services (and the Police) still attend courses at Pirbright? Where on earth did he get his drill square banter? "If you get it wrong, I will know that you are a cornflake in my bowl of cocoa pops. You don't want to be the cornflake". Hardly up there with some of Pirbright's finest put downs is it?
    Other than that, a decent programme and I'll keep watching.

4. Amazingly, not everyone in the Armed Forces goes to Army Training centres - in this case the PO would've gone to COLLINGWOOD not Pirbright.

And yes, the multi-man messdecks replicate life at sea. I wonder if the 48 man 'zoo' is still used?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Not exactly the reincarnation of Nobby Arnold!

• Like Like x 1
  6. He's a Gunner - probably became shy and nervous around the cameras.

7. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Seen.

Very nostalgic. Not like it were in my day ('63) though, and who re-named the Divisions? What was wrong with Drake, Hawke, Collingwood etc ?

Will be watching next episode.

8. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Yep, shy and retiring are Gunners

• Like Like x 1
  9. he was probably saying to himself - breathe in, suck gut in, breathe out, keep gut sucked in, etc etc.

10. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Roll on seeing this on Freeview.

Meanwhile I shall have to stick to John Winton's 'Good Enough for Nelson'.

11. Guess I will watch it.

12. Anywhere we can watch it online, for us mere mortals with freeview?

13. jrwlynch

jrwlynch LE Book Reviewer

Oh, yes, very much so.

14. Yes