TV Connectivity Germany

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by JonnyAlpha, Jan 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi;

I have a Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma with Freeview and Freesat HD connections and am off to Germany this weekend and have a couple of questions regarding TV connectivity in Germany.

1. Will I be able to pick up German digital channels?
    2. Do German Satellite cables use F Connectors?
    3. Will I pick up and are there any free to air Satellite channels?

I have heard that i need to get a set top box from the SSVC to pick up BFPS etc.

Ta

2. No expert here but will this help...Germany started digital satellite broadcasts in 1996, and I suspect there's not much difference in the systems other than language, I may be wrong. Subscribe or lurk around Digital Spy, or expats in Germany forums for pointers. If you're going to Germany you will very likely find a Lidl, or Aldi, they generally sell adequate and cheap kits such as the respected "Comag".

Media Market (Shoppen von Curries) in Germany also have complete SkyVision Sat kits for Euros 99, including VAT, and they deliver.

We could reasonably expect to pack our Sky card and satellite kit, in order to watch satellite telly abroad without too many problems.

A set top box using digital satellite should receive UK TV from the Astra Satellite at 19.2east depending on the signal strength and a good quality LNB, standard or quadband (gold if you can). A dual USB and Hard drive would let you record programmes. I like the Panasonic TU-DSB30 Sky Satellite Box Digibox Digital Receiver. Not cheap and hard to get.

Should get UK telly from Germany when connected to the right size dish, say 80 cm. In 1997 we could pick up a popular and very dominant UK satellite service from Minden on a balcony mounted dish.We were paying the subscription. But can't say what the score is these days or if the popular satellite broadcaster's still the same control freak or how far the technology has advanced.

IIRC, in 1996 we bought our satellite kit in the NAAFI, and stuck the dish on a balcony pole (not wall mounted). Even we could set the thing up it's not rocket science.

Like I said, no expert, there's a few links for illustration and info, someone may come along with a belting answer soon, but good luck.

German satellite kit High Def German Satellite TV Kit - Get Satellite TV from Germany in HD

Sky German satellite channels Channels available via ASTRA - ASTRA - SES ASTRA

UK Freeview Free Satellite Digital TV Service | 150+ channels & on demand TV - freesat

3. Thanks very much for a very helpful comment, I seem to recal that we are on the Astra Sat at the moment, can't check though as my TV is now in a box. Oh and the removals just called to say they'll be late - what's new ;-)

4. When I was out there last year I could not pick up German channels on my TV all though it was fully digital and has freeview. I think it was down to the crap aeriel on the quarter. The local SSVC shop will give you a desk top box but channels are pretty limited. I'd suggest getting a good sattelite dish and taking a sky box and card over with you. Alternatively the Germans have plenty of choice for set top boxes and dishes at reasonable prices could be woth trying one.

5. When I was out there last year I could not pick up German channels on my TV all though it was fully digital and has freeview. I think it was down to the crap aeriel on the quarter. The local SSVC shop will give you a desk top box but channels are pretty limited. I'd suggest getting a good sattelite dish and taking a sky box and card over with you. Ther is a company that advertises Sky in the 6th sense paper but they are expensive. Alternatively the Germans have plenty of choice for set top boxes and dishes at reasonable prices could be worth trying one.