TV COMPANY WANTS YOUR WAR FILM/PHOTOGRAPHY

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ARMYTELEVISION, Feb 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TV Company is making a UK documentary entitled “Soldier’s Real Images of War”. It will document soldier’s own personal war photography and film since WW2, from conflicts such as the Falklands, the first Gulf War, Afghanistan and the war in Iraq.

We are looking for soldier’s own extreme pictures and films which tell the story of the reality of conflict. They might be of the enemy, of combat itself, of pows or of everyday ‘tour of duty’ - anything that tells the real story of life on the front line. If you have anything you think fits the bill please contact: robertwhite@septemberfilms.com

**The Army Rumour Service site admin has given September Films permisson to post this message on arrse.co.uk**

2. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Pics of EPW may contravene the Geneva Conventions; presumably the production company will indemnify any contributor against any action arising from their use of such images.

3. Geneva Convention? Something about, erm, humiliation or similar...Big stink during the last Gulf War, erm, or something?

4. Doh, too slow! Go again!

5. I would have thought you had more than enough to continue your vendetta against better men that yourselves.

6. 'We are looking for soldier’s own extreme pictures and films which tell the story of the reality of conflict. They might be of the enemy, of combat itself, of pows or of everyday ‘tour of duty’ - anything that tells the real story of life on the front line. If you have anything you think fits the bill please contact: robertwhite @ septemberfilms.com'
    And when an employee of septfilms sees a photo/film they deem features 'abuse' is it next stop NOTW/Scum newapaper as the public have a right to know how sadistic our troops are?

7. I'm all for putting the army on the TV. We seem to spend too much time being harangued by the press, and it'd be good to let the public have a better understanding of what we do. But does any soldier who sends in his pics (with him and his mates in it) risk getting in trouble from the CoC?

Does anybody know? UPOs out there have any idea?

TRM

8. I would just emphasise what others have said. It is a breach of the 1949 Geneva Conventions and subsequent protocols to publish photographs from which a prisoner's identity can be ascertained. In this case the film company would be at fault. I would strongly suggest that the film company contacts the legal department of the British Red Cross who can give expert advice.

9. Novel approach I'll say.

10. Rebecca, I have a cunning plan........Let's pretend we are a production company and get all the Soldiers to send us their pictures of abuse..........we can then publish them....

11. I believe from my time as a UPO that MOD can claim copyright on any image taken while serving, your film, your camera, off duty whatever. I would certainly check with the CoC.

Here is one quote which gives a flavour of their thinking... ( search "copyright" on the MOD site) - My emphasis.

Reproduction by service personnel and civil servants

If you are in the armed services or an MoD civil servant, and not reproducing the material strictly for MoD purposes (for example, if you are writing a book or setting up a club) you do need permission to reproduce MoD material unless it falls under the Crown Copyright Waiver scheme. This includes reproducing material of which you yourself were the author.

Even if the CoC said OK I'd be very cagey about giving photos away, unless I was absolutely sure they were so innocent as to be boring ! ( and a couple of real dull ones are on the gallery...)

A photo of a soldier helping casualties after a road-accident in Cyprus was printed by one local rag as "British Soldier sexually assaults accident victim" etc etc. ( OK, His hand could have been better placed...)