TV alert

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by PartTimePongo, Feb 28, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. CH4 22.05 - "I love the smell of Naplam in the morning"

2. I luurve this film!
    PTP when did you take to wearing stockings on your avatar>>>??
    Nice touch :lol:

3. msr

msr LE

And not just socks, but socks with sandals no less :eek:

4. And if you are in the correct kneeling position with your legs parted, does everyone get a glimpse of your schlong hanging out the side of your panties :D

5. Original or 'Redux'? - I just love the lighting during the French Plantation scene as the sun sets across Willard's face, and the Bunny girl asking who's outside the tent while she's getting shagged - 'I'm next' comes the reply from a soggy Lawrence Fishburne...

6. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Redux!

Ironically, I'd got Redux out on video without knowing it was programmed for last night.

Good fillum.......how old was Martin Sheen at the time and is it true he had a heart attack whilst shooting it ?

The cinema edit I saw back nineteen-umpty-mumble took the whole of the French sequence out....spect they didin't want to baffle US audiences any further than they were already...and there was good ol' Martin Sheen smoking opium too...another fine British empire export!

BTW, anyone ever come across an Arty FAC called Guy Bransby?
    He wrote a book about his time in the 'Nam with Anzac forces, called
    'Her Majesty's Vietnam Soldier' - claimed to be the only Brit to receive the Vietnam medal, which was issued to Aussie/Kiwi forces who served there.

Do tell me if he was a congenital liar, someone who knows him !
    Enjoyed the book though.

A la bonne heure, bleus !

7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I met Guy Bransby in the early 80s at Catterick. He was an RAF Regiment officer and I saw official docs which proved that he had indeed served in Vietnam. Nice chap, too, incidentally.

8. Martin Sheen did indeed suffer a mild cardiac infarction during the filming of AN. The opening sequence where willard goes off on a bender in his hotel room was filmed about six months into the production and was unrehearsed and unscripted. Apparently Sheen said something like "I'm going to get really sh*t-faced on booze and speed - let's just film what happens..." they were bored waiting for a lull in the weather, apparently. Afterwards, Sheen was hospitalised for a couple of weeks and Copolla put his foot down on further 'improvs'.
    Further delays were forced by monsoons demolishing the village sets, the Phillipine Army borrowing back their Hueys to put down a commie insurrection in the north and the original casting of Willard's character (Harvey Kietel) resigning after nearly six weeks' shooting...
    The docco on all this is also available on DVD, called Hearts of Darkness - or something like that. It used to come bundled with the 'old' Movie DVD as a special feature.

9. BTW, anyone ever come across an Arty FAC called Guy Bransby?
    He wrote a book about his time in the 'Nam with Anzac forces, called
    'Her Majesty's Vietnam Soldier' - claimed to be the only Brit to receive the Vietnam medal, which was issued to Aussie/Kiwi forces who served there.

I went to school with Guy Bransby's son. Strangley he was called Guy Bransby too. Guy's father is totally legit and does talks about his exploits in Vietnam. If I cast my mind back there were plans to publish two more books but haven't seen evidence of this.

10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Re: Guy Bransby,son of Guy

hmm, there y'go....nice to hear the book wasn't all cock.

One of the things it brought me up all standing on was the use of tanks by the NVA at a place called Kontum.

People of my generation ( well old ) tended to think of Vietnam as the archetypal guerilla action - all shambolic amateurs in black pajamas loosing off AK's at the hapless foot-slogging grunts....but the Vietnamese actually disposed of quite a lot of good battle-proven Sov kit.

The air war wasn't all B-52's dropping stuff unopposed either.

Anyone else remember a very young Martin Bell broadcasting from Saigon during the Tet offensive?

Le Chevre

PS What's a crow anyway,PTP ?
    --