TV :03 Oct 16- BBC4 Timeshift - BAOR

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Heads up for the Old and Bold ,tonight on the box

Timeshift (Timeshift: The British Army of the Rhine) on BBC4 HD, Mon 3 Oct 11:50pm - TVGuide.co.uk Mobile

Timeshift: The British Army of the Rhine The story of British servicemen and their families who had to live in Germany in the decades following the Second World War, with military bases becoming outposts of the UK. Featuring contributions by historian Max Hastings and BBC sports commentator Barry Davies, who was based in the area during his National Service
Read more at Timeshift (Timeshift: The British Army of the Rhine) on BBC4 HD, Mon 3 Oct 11:50pm - TVGuide.co.uk Mobile

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I think I've recorded it...anyone watch?

Watched it before - and it's on Youtube. But really enjoyed it.
The only problem is it reinforces the "I want my Cold War back" feeling.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Mine too...Army of Occupation, not sure where in Germany.

Thanks for the heads up, Goatman. Stuck it on last night & enjoyed it enormously. Slightly heavy on the period up to the '60s rather than the time I was out there, but still interesting.

I never knew that BFBS only set up a TV service to stop wives shagging around while their menfolk were off on NI tours .
Not sure if they succeeded in that , but apparently drink driving went right down .

my Grandfather was BAOR after the Great War
oddly that rarely gets mentioned
he was based in Koln

British Army of the Rhine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1919–1929[edit]

Formal group photograph of British and French officers and commissioners outside the house of the Commander-in-Chief Allied Armies of Occupation, Marienberg

18th Hussars in Cologne, 6 December 1918.

Field Marshal Lord Plumer, General Officer Commanding-in-Chief the British Army of the Rhine, taking the salute from the 29th Division entering Cologne by the Hohenzollern Bridge

Two tanks passing through Cologne for inspection by the VI Corps Commander, General Aylmer Haldane, June 1919
The first British Army of the Rhine was set up in March 1919 to implement the occupation of the Rhineland. It was originally composed of five corps, composed of two divisions each, plus a cavalry division:[1]

II Corps: Commanded by Sir Claud Jacob

IV Corps: Commanded by Sir Alexander Godley

VI Corps: Commanded by Sir Aylmer Haldane

IX Corps: Commanded by Sir Walter Braithwaite and later by Ivor Maxse

X Corps: Commanded by Sir Thomas Morland

Cavalry Division (formed from 1st Cavalry Division)

However most of these units were progressively dissolved, so that by February 1920 there were only regular battalions:

In August 1920 Winston Churchill told the British Parliament that the BAOR consisted of approximately 13,360 troops, consisting of staff, cavalry, Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers, infantry, machine gun corps, tanks, and the usual ancillary services. The troops were located principally in the vicinity of Cologne at an approximate cost per month of £300,000.[2] The Cologne Post was a newspaper published for members of the BAOR during this period.

From 1922 the BAOR was organised into two brigades:[1]

1st Rhine Brigade

2nd Rhine Brigade

Commanders-in-Chief[edit]
The commanders were:[3]

Latest Threads