Tusk Shows His Impartiality and Diplomacy

Spacker as Trump is even he would realise the starting point is the status quo. So no deal better than a bad deal would actually be the case.
I place more faith in some of the people that work for him that place the interests of the United States as a whole, above their personal legacy. A fairish deal that both sides hate, that will last long term is what is needed. One that completely fucks over the other side, might bring short term gain. However in the long run it could be problematic when you are out for blood and want payback. It is a balancing act between profit and long term planning.

Nobody likes a car salesmen when they find out they have been conned, and you will never go back to them again. I would rather keep you as a reliable partner for decades then burn that bridge for short term gain.

Minus the fact that you are the 5th largest economy in the world, and a few million jobs on both sides of the Atlantic depend on how well you you or don’t do.
Yet the EU would have us as the 28th economy if Tusk, Barnier and Junker have anything to do with it. We were under the heel a couple of times in the past, from the same nations who are against us now, but survived and will do so again. Might need some help from the US but they've been our pals for a while now. :cool:

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
We have Trump but we have many checks and balances to his power, so life has not gone completely bat shit. He can be easily tuned out.
I trust in USA companies to make reasonable deals better than I would trust Trump personally. In any case, I wouldn't be losing too much sleep with any attempts to befriend Trump himself; we've seen what being a friend of Trump leads to.

The USA has no desperate need to trade with the UK, but I'm sure we are still viewed as an important trading partner. The UK breaking from the EU shouldn't alter the current US-UK trade aside from having to renegotiate tariffs (possibly reverting to what we had pre-EU). This may take a while but it is in the interests of both parties to get things moving quickly.

Yes, the USA might prefer that the UK provides a nice US-friendly entry point to the EU, but I'm afraid that it will have to accept that the UK is leaving at the end of March.

D

Deleted 158059

The point is really that it is the President of the EU making the remark. Supporters of both sides have been trading insults since before the referendum, but I don't recall our PM or Queen using any of the phrases you quote, certainly not in a media briefing. That the EU President, who has previously claimed to want to be impartial and politically neutral, lapses into such undiplomatic language is what makes this so significant.
Apart from PMTM calling EU citizens queue jumpers as one example.

Nice way to insult our former European friends

I trust in USA companies to make reasonable deals better than I would trust Trump personally. In any case, I wouldn't be losing too much sleep with any attempts to befriend Trump himself; we've seen what being a friend of Trump leads to.

The USA has no desperate need to trade with the UK, but I'm sure we are still viewed as an important trading partner. The UK breaking from the EU shouldn't alter the current US-UK trade aside from having to renegotiate tariffs (possibly reverting to what we had pre-EU). This may take a while but it is in the interests of both parties to get things moving quickly.

Yes, the USA might prefer that the UK provides a nice US-friendly entry point to the EU, but I'm afraid that it will have to accept that the UK is leaving at the end of March.
We shall see what happens in April. If favorable deals can be made they will be. Government just needs to set the conditions for fair trade and let the private sector kick in. When government is incapable of doing this they are failing the people that voted them in.

And others think that the EU actually love the UK. And want us to be members, rather than understanding that the EU only want our money.
Who are these people?

Jonesy, what you fail to understand is that the UK is currently being led by a 'so-called' conservative government, when in actual fact, they are nothing of the sort mate.
They certainly are something of the sort.

He's posted list of the US business trade wants, these are the people who fund Trump. It isn't about mates.

He's posted list of the US business trade wants, these are the people who fund Trump. It isn't about mates.
It’s about paid influence. Trump is going to represent American interests, PMTM will represent yours. The appropriate underlinglings will haggle and work things out and try to score as many points for the home team as possible.

Concerns for UK farming if a USA trade deal is struck

However protectionism is a national sport. The Scotts are scared of American agricultural might and they should be. They think our products are inferior, and I have no idea how people eat Haggis would whine about horomones.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Think about it like this. In the Global neighborhood you might have voted to trash your house and yard. Which in theory is your prerogative. However when your actions start to kill the value of my house, then I get involved because your choices are having a negative financial impact on me.

Now I can try to be reasonable with you, and discuss the issue in private. Giving you time to redress the issue. Failing that I can take it up with the Hoa or the city console and then up it a notch. Or if I really don’t like you, I might drag you by your scrotum in the back alley and have a not so pleasant word.

So you voted good on you, but If you don’t realize your choices can have an impact others you might be reminded sharply.

Brexit is starting to become very noticeable here. Now while you may not give a flying **** about American public opinion, I would encourage you to reconsider. In case you need reminding you also have your detractors in our political system. Who have the ability to **** your economy even more.

Now while stoic images of a Dunkirk like struggle appeal to the ideals of the romantic past. They do nothing to pay the bills and prevent a level of austerity that will follow.
When you live in a boom bust economy you get used to it and adapt to that way of life. I don’t think most of your country is ready for that anymore.
A crap analogy. Imagine if Mexico and Canada used NAFTA to unilaterally impose themselves on the constitutional settlement of the USA and you'll be nearer to the mark.

Minus the fact that you are the 5th largest economy in the world, and a few million jobs on both sides of the Atlantic depend on how well you you or don’t do.
I had two really good job offers yanked because of it. Pardon the pun and my bitterness.

He has no fan base in Poland.
He’s seen as a traitor attacking his own homeland as it stands up for itself.
He’s the worst sort of EUrozealot.
There is a time to be quiet. Please try.

You have fcuk all knowledge of Central Europe not the politics. He spoke truth to the devil. Get over it.

You have fcuk all knowledge of Central Europe not the politics. He spoke truth to the devil. Get over it.
Hows life in Latvia?
Oh that’s right, rampant depopulation, economic stagnation, corruption is a national sport, endemic hepatitis and TB, a country that’s viciously racist and Latvians have a very nasty emamourment with the properly far right....

And you moved there voluntarily?
I think my grasp of eastern EUtopia may be rather more clued up than yours

Last edited:

ugly

LE
I would not place Ronnie or Maggie in the same current political class, that we have now. Both had duties to look after their own countries interests first and foremost. I am sure they had some sharp conversations in private. However they also managed to keep the relationship cordial and productive. Trump and PMTM would use it as punching bag to distract from domestic issues. I mean who does not like hating on Johnny Foreigner? It is way more fun then tackling the problems at home.
You are of course making the classic mistake that PMTM will still be PM when you (USA) deign to hold trade talks.

ugly

LE

Just like the "My parents are from xxx therefore I know all about xxx and your comments are unworthy!" line spat out by plastic (insert nation of choice) all around the web..
In fact no ones comments on here hold any more truth or value than anyone elses. Its the internet, get over it!

ugly

LE
Jonesy, I would rather this country remains a member of the EU, than see JC as PM.
I wouldn't for a few reasons, one is the chance that he will actually lead Labour into winning the next election despite what the Tories have done to themselves are infinitesimally minute whilst the front bench remains unchanged. Add to that by the time Labour get a chance at election we should be three years free of the Eu and starting with the first few years of our new negotiated trade packages (provided they dont let that clown of a remainer civil servant who did Brexit WA to do any future trade negotiations) and things will look different.
By then Corbyn will be in his 70's.
The odds are that we will get another Labour maladministration. Its the law of averages, however some of us will benefit and some of us wont!
That Corbyn wont be in charge is a given, McDonnel I'm not convinced the old(ish) guard of New Labour will allow him the powerbase that JC has had built for him. If we get through this without too much recession or hardship then possibly things could be better and after all Labour isn't the hard left it thinks it is, its closer to the current crop of conservatives and any noise regarding Brexit from MP's is simply pandering to the media and panicking that they may have to do some work next year!

Latest Threads