Turnkeys, gaolers, prison officers and screws

This 2 part series about Belmarsh (Hellmarsh, the inmates call it) is quite good. Gives a decent insight into what PO’s have to deal with.

It might be good for the un-initiated but for me a lot of it is spent bigging the place up. Belmarsh is not the only place that has an HSU, there was one at Full Sutton, I was SSU trained, and there are others. They may not be operating currently but they do exist. Also Full Sutton and others took any prisoner whatever their category or escape risk and, again, Full Sutton has an unused old segregation unit that used to be opened and staffed when the situation called for it, I know as I manned it and flattened a con that was flinging food all over officers at the hotplate. We also had at least one inmate that self identified as female, and that was in about 96/97. I've also had to be on shift in the hospital wing a number of times, primarily for wing staff protection but also to watch a very large con who was completely Ga Ga, droolingly so, due to excessive drug use, I have no idea if he ever recovered.

One thing I would say is the place does look a lot more violent than what Full Sutton used to be, I wonder how much that is down to the Regime and calibre of staff though.

You can retire whenever you want.
I have a colleague who is full time at seventy three & another at seventy.
Most staff serving now will not get their HMPPS pension until they receive their state pension.
Most new staff nowadays will be lucky to see their bloody pension mate. If they stay in long enough.
If Joe Public actually knew about the conditions that Prison Officers have to work under, they'd be bloody angry.
People think that the Old Bill have a difficult job... pah! If only they knew the real conditions that Prison Staff have to work under.
Sorry for the rant chaps.

I would not like to give odds on a 70-73 year old surviving a good kicking from 4 or 5 tasty c%^ts which seems to be the norm these days. The scrotes locked up today think nothing of attacking female staff so don't think oap staff would bother them much

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

I would not like to give odds on a 70-73 year old surviving a good kicking from 4 or 5 tasty c%^ts which seems to be the norm these days. The scrotes locked up today think nothing of attacking female staff so don't think oap staff would bother them much

Neither would I.
However, they are both OSG's.

Most new staff nowadays will be lucky to see their bloody pension mate. If they stay in long enough.
If Joe Public actually knew about the conditions that Prison Officers have to work under, they'd be bloody angry.
People think that the Old Bill have a difficult job... pah! If only they knew the real conditions that Prison Staff have to work under.
Sorry for the rant chaps.
HMPPS don't expect many Officers these days to serve more than three years.
So less to pay on increments & pensions, so a case of sod staff safety.
Issue of PAVA in an establishment is dependent on Key working percentage attained in that establishment.
Blackmail or what? Staff coming second as usual.

Osg, officer, workshop instructor, nurse all the same when the boots going in? Retirement was 55 for a reason before fresh start (pre 88) going to 60 was the start then 65 now 67/68 ,crazy when you think what the job entails.
Remember osg's are doing jobs that used to be done by front line officer grades before cost cutting became the norm

Osg, officer, workshop instructor, nurse all the same when the boots going in? Retirement was 55 for a reason before fresh start (pre 88) going to 60 was the start then 65 now 67/68 ,crazy when you think what the job entails.
Remember osg's are doing jobs that used to be done by front line officer grades before cost cutting became the norm

Fresh Start came in 1987/88, end of proper over time, housing allowance, and other useful perks.

End of Chief Officers and Assistant Governor scheme replaced by Accelerated Promotion Schemes.

Retirement ages changed for post prestart staff only from 55 to 60.

Then in the 1990 came the pension changes of remaining on pre-fresh start retirement age of 55 for those eligible, or change to the one of the two new 'not so improved' pensions, curtailment of proper medical retirement packages etc.

Privatised prisons/market testing.

Then encouraged early retirement/redundancy.

Then reduction of starting wages of new entry staff.

Then 'SOLIDS HIT THE AIR CON', as all the experience staff had jumped ship and there was a shortage of well trained replacements.

Not helped by the reversing of the Mountbatten Report and other hard learned lessons from the 50's/60's.

'Insert name of any recent Director of the HM Prison Service' My part in the downfall of HM Prisons (not Service).

And they wonder why the roof goes off, you could not make it up.

Fresh Start came in 1987/88, end of proper over time, housing allowance, and other useful perks.

End of Chief Officers and Assistant Governor scheme replaced by Accelerated Promotion Schemes.

Retirement ages changed for post prestart staff only from 55 to 60.

Then in the 1990 came the pension changes of remaining on pre-fresh start retirement age of 55 for those eligible, or change to the one of the two new 'not so improved' pensions, curtailment of proper medical retirement packages etc.

Privatised prisons/market testing.

Then encouraged early retirement/redundancy.

Then reduction of starting wages of new entry staff.

Then 'SOLIDS HIT THE AIR CON', as all the experience staff had jumped ship and there was a shortage of well trained replacements.

Not helped by the reversing of the Mountbatten Report and other hard learned lessons from the 50's/60's.

'Insert name of any recent Director of the HM Prison Service' My part in the downfall of HM Prisons (not Service).

And they wonder why the roof goes off, you could not make it up.
I served as admin staff from 1980 to 2002 when I bugged out and transferred to the MOD because of local mis-management and also, the changes I could see appearing on the horizon. A few years later, the department made all the admin grades re-apply for their jobs. Needless to say, quite a few of them apparently didn't bother.

A back up sentence. For eg, original sentence and a ten year back-up sentence. Do anything criminal in or out of prison and the back-up sentence is invoked to add consecutively to the original sentence or to be served consecutive to any prison term imposed. But you have to remember I am of a kindly disposition. :cool:
...i misread that as "kinky".

Is this for real?

Is this for real?

Yep.
Most jails have one.
Along with others who cater for just about any religion under the sun.
Sad that he gets paid a damn sight more than an Officer though.

Yep.
Most jails have one.
Along with others who cater for just about any religion under the sun.
Sad that he gets paid a damn sight more than an Officer though.
And only works one day a week. (Pagan may only work the early morning sun rise & evening sun set. Good money for not a lot of work especially if there are no villains proclaiming to be Pagans banged up that week).

...well, just did the bizarre online tests. Aimed at teenagers?

Question re. pensions... MoJ are evasive.

I have, via Army and Civil Service, 24 years of CS classic pension at SEO grade. If i went PO, any idea if time served in that would supplement my CS pot or be treated as separate?

...well, just did the bizarre online tests. Aimed at teenagers?

Question re. pensions... MoJ are evasive.

I have, via Army and Civil Service, 24 years of CS classic pension at SEO grade. If i went PO, any idea if time served in that would supplement my CS pot or be treated as separate?
You can transfer Army pension into CS Scheme. I did in the 80's but beware they work out at different percentages so the Army pension in my case brought more CS years.

If you have the original CS pension i.e. Classic as it was renamed in the 90's (which if it is the same as the renamed Classic I was on). I joined HMP prior to 1987 so I was on the old pre start pension. Then it is the Gold Plated one and should pay out (55 in my case had I not taken medical retirement, 60 if I had left the job prior to retirement), a lump sum and a monthly pension which will vary according to rank and time served on retirement. The other new replacement CS are not as good so I would be very careful swapping something that is GOLD PLATED for something less. There is a CS Pensions helpline now called MyCSP or similar. Give them a ring also dig out all your old CS pension paperwork as it should explain what you have got and what you can do with it.

I would be very careful about transferring any CS pensions to the open commercial market i.e. as offered by banks and other Financial Advisors etc as they charge a monthly fee and other costs can swallow up your pot of cash.

I suspect as you broke service then the new CS pension you earn would be treated separately.

Contact MyCSP for the full info.

Question is, why as a ex SEO would you want to be a Probationary Landing's Officer and bottom of the tree again etc etc?

You can transfer Army pension into CS Scheme. I did in the 80's but beware they work out at different percentages so the Army pension in my case brought more CS years.

If you have the original CS pension i.e. Classic as it was renamed in the 90's (which if it is the same as the renamed Classic I was on). I joined HMP prior to 1987 so I was on the old pre start pension. Then it is the Gold Plated one and should pay out (55 in my case had I not taken medical retirement, 60 if I had left the job prior to retirement), a lump sum and a monthly pension which will vary according to rank and time served on retirement. The other new replacement CS are not as good so I would be very careful swapping something that is GOLD PLATED for something less. There is a CS Pensions helpline now called MyCSP or similar. Give them a ring also dig out all your old CS pension paperwork as it should explain what you have got and what you can do with it.

I would be very careful about transferring any CS pensions to the open commercial market i.e. as offered by banks and other Financial Advisors etc as they charge a monthly fee and other costs can swallow up your pot of cash.

I suspect as you broke service then the new CS pension you earn would be treated separately.

Contact MyCSP for the full info.

Question is, why as a ex SEO would you want to be a Probationary Landing's Officer and bottom of the tree again etc etc?

Thanks.

Well, I'm just getting fed up with corporate world, office politics etc. Nearly in a position where a humungous pay cut is worth it for job security, 37 hr week, getting home every day... plus, challenge isn't there in what I'm doing now.

Mrs. Specop is gently hinting that my immediate future, which includes a good chance of a global directorship, shouldn't include getting assaulted and being paid less than l was 25 years ago....

Thanks.

Well, I'm just getting fed up with corporate world, office politics etc. Nearly in a position where a humungous pay cut is worth it for job security, 37 hr week, getting home every day... plus, challenge isn't there in what I'm doing now.

Mrs. Specop is gently hinting that my immediate future, which includes a good chance of a global directorship, shouldn't include getting assaulted and being paid less than l was 25 years ago....
If you think you will only be working a 37 hours a week and getting home on time, you be working in a different Prison Service than I did. Job Security your having a laugh, in your probationary year you can be dismissed in a blink of an eye, if you survive the first 12 months and then drop a b*ll*ck or have an inadequate member of management take a dislike to you, then you have the pleasure of the DAPS forms, suspension, police or civil action etc, etc.

But on the bright side it will be CHALLENGING!!!

If you think you will only be working a 37 hours a week and getting home on time, you be working in a different Prison Service than I did. Job Security your having a laugh, in your probationary year you can be dismissed in a blink of an eye, if you survive the first 12 months and then drop a b*ll*ck or have an inadequate member of management take a dislike to you, then you have the pleasure of the DAPS forms, suspension, police or civil action etc, etc.

But on the bright side it will be CHALLENGING!!!

How does that work, then?

Contract says x hours. Not on a crappy 0 hours thing, not working through a ltd. co., in a union.

Do management failures to ensure proper resources result in pressure on the actual resources? If you leave on time, as per contract, what can they do?

How does that work, then?

Contract says x hours. Not on a crappy 0 hours thing, not working through a ltd. co., in a union.

Do management failures to ensure proper resources result in pressure on the actual resources? If you leave on time, as per contract, what can they do?
You may get occasions when the roll comes in late by a few minutes.
You will also not be able to leave if there is a major incident, as you would expect.
In both cases you will earn TOIL.
Crap performance, as in any job (less politics & some others), will get you sacked.

You may get occasions when the roll comes in late by a few minutes.
You will also not be able to leave if there is a major incident, as you would expect.
In both cases you will earn TOIL.
Crap performance, as in any job (less politics & some others), will get you sacked.

That's fair enough.

Latest Threads