Turnkeys, gaolers, prison officers and screws

Any threat by the POA to walk out, pull sickies or anything similar would end up with the government going to the courts to gain an injunction and they'd win.

Prison officer management in my brief experience stops at senior officer, principle officer and governor grades are more interested in career progression than the interests or safety of their "essential staff"/Key Resource".

I have absolutely no expectation of this government, or any other in the future, doing anything to protect prison officers unless or until one or more get killed by an inmate and, tbh, I seriously doubt it will happen then. All that will happen is the book of platitudes will be brought out and read from cover to cover.
My bold.
Plenty of Officers have been killed over the years mate. Namely in Ulster by terrorists, but I personally know of at least one Officer who had an heart attack on the way home from a shift from hell. And at least two others who have killed themselves.

I did not know it was illegal for Prison Officers to Strike.
As they do not have that Right, one would hope that entitled them to be listened to and supported better by their Management.

No ?
Threaten mass resignations or just pull a mass 'sicky' . Prison Flu or something Stress- related.

Remember - the Tory party realises they have just been 'lent' enough votes to have a sizeable working majority. They like this and may want to keep it this way.
You might be pleasantly surprised by the new Order, and the way it conducts Our Business.
I can remember when we went on strike in I think 2015, the No 1 came into the visits centre & said if we didn't return to work immediately we'd all be arrested.
Seventy odd Prison Officer's with the Powers & Authority of a Constable thought that highly amusing.

My bold.
Plenty of Officers have been killed over the years mate. Namely in Ulster by terrorists, but I personally know of at least one Officer who had an heart attack on the way home from a shift from hell. And at least two others who have killed themselves.
Didn't an Officer who was taken hostage during the Strangeways riot die afterwards of a heart attack?
I've no doubt that it wasn't coincidental.

My bold.
I'm also aware of the stress factor, just before I started at Full Sutton it was a regular thing for officers to sit in their cars in the car park trying to drum up the courage to go in.

I'm also aware officers have lost their lives, but in the context that we are discussing nothing will be done until that happens, God forbid.

I'm also aware of the stress factor, just before I started at Full Sutton it was a regular thing for officers to sit in their cars in the car park trying to drum up the courage to go in.

I'm also aware officers have lost their lives, but in the context that we are discussing nothing will be done until that happens, God forbid.
Your first sentence. I cannot think of how much money I would be needing to work under those conditions.

Your first sentence. I cannot think of how much money I would be needing to work under those conditions.
Loved every minute of it, except the bits where Principle Officers or Governors* got involved :)

* Excluding the Governor at HMP Bullwood Hall, he recognised exeptonal talent when he saw it :), me I just did the job I'd been taught and the experience of 3 yrs at Full Sutton.

I've often thought how interesting it would be to see the results given by a heart monitor from waking up in the morning until walking out of the jail at the end of a shift. There would be more peaks than troughs.
We had an Officer stabbed in the leg during a key snatch this week. Fortunately, deflecting off his vape saved it from being a more serious injury!

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
I remember Douglas Hurd I think it was sending in the SAS with cs and stun grenades when some scrotes took an officer hostage at Peterhead. Over very quickly.

Last edited:
As for striking I took part in a strike at hmp Leicester a few years ago. At 07.30 I & 5 other officers were all that was left staying out, the other 40 odd all went into work, what would you do with a mortgage & bills to pay? Plus the threat of dismissal?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

As for striking I took part in a strike at hmp Leicester a few years ago. At 07.30 I & 5 other officers were all that was left staying out, the other 40 odd all went into work, what would you do with a mortgage & bills to pay? Plus the threat of dismissal?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
A more effective way of bringing the whole system to a stop is for staff to refuse to do PP.
The problem being of course, that many staff need the money.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Mate of mine is a screw at Bristol.

I gave him a lift down there recently and was captivated by his dits for the 3 hour journey from London.

**** that for a job.

He said it’s the norm for him to often be the only screw on a whole wing full of scrotes. If there is a riot or a few of them just decide **** him up, he’s literally on his own against 100 or so blokes.

Same story that everyone has said above. Absolutely zero support from management, most of whom have never even been on the wing and serious understaffing problems.

And it doesn’t stop when he gets home. He often bumps into former inmates outside who are less than friendly.

Mate of mine is a screw at Bristol.

I gave him a lift down there recently and was captivated by his dits for the 3 hour journey from London.

**** that for a job.

He said it’s the norm for him to often be the only screw on a whole wing full of scrotes. If there is a riot or a few of them just decide **** him up, he’s literally on his own against 100 or so blokes.

Same story that everyone has said above. Absolutely zero support from management, most of whom have never even been on the wing and serious understaffing problems.

And it doesn’t stop when he gets home. He often bumps into former inmates outside who are less than friendly.
Or if management were walking the landings, the situation then was a different world to what it is now.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Surely the senior management were once walking the landings themselves? Or does promotion bring on memory loss?
I think they have fast track grad schemes and stuff which basically means the senior tier have zero experience at all of the front line job.

Latest Threads