Turning Japanese

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by old_fat_and_hairy, Jul 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I don't know if this is just happening to me, but periodically - and more and more often - part of my screen on this site appears in pictographs. I'm assuming these are Japanese, since they don't resemble the few Chinese symbols I know.

I appreciate that my laptop is Japanese, but since nothing anywhere else on 'tweb changes language style ( other than gibberish) I wondered if there may be a glitch.

I would include a screen shot but being old and dead for some time I don't know how to do that. However, the odd language appears directly beneath the forum title at top of page, and on right hand side where 'top topics' appear. Not always, but often enough to be confusing.

Anyone any ideas?

Oh, incidentally, it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the site. If that is the word I'm looking for. Actually, if it converted the squabbling between seagulls and others into Japanese, or Hindu or bloody Klingon then I would welcome it!
  2. old_fat_and_hairy

Well it's not me. Been far too long!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. .
    Wasn't the song 'Turning Japanese' by the Vapours about wanking?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. No, it was about the moment you shoot your bolt!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  5. old_fat_and_hairy

I defer to your expertise on onanistic matters.
  6. Glad I could be of help.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  7. あなたは、スクリーンショットを取得することができますCtrlキーを押しながら+は印刷画面であれば
  8. Your spelling and grammar are shit.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Your computer might have been made in Japan, but it's zillion to one chance that you actually have a Japanese computer. I lived and worked there for over seven years, and recently retired, and can tell you that Japanese computers and 'western' computers work on an entirely different operating system. In the entire metro-Tokyo region there were only three places where you could buy or rent a Western-style pc or laptop.

The OS in a western computer does not use 'fuzzy logic' like the Japanese one does - a kind of built-in predictive text used to determine the correct character when converting Romanised Japanese, known as Romanji - into the three commonly-used written forms of the Japanese language.

My laptop is Japanese because I still use it to write to my former colleagues, so was my desktop computer, hence my inability to use emoticons for the longest time back here in Yoorup, or to see yours, or anybody elses. The Japanese OS does not support them are they take the form of an unrecognisable graphic with no Japanese language analog to convert.

My opinion is that YOUR computer is ****ed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. それを修正するためには、単に一緒にAltキーとF4キーを押す必要があります。ジョブは、してやられた
  11. Although 'job jobbed' doesn't seem to translate very well :D