Turn 9/11 rubble into a killing machine? Hello?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Rumrunner, May 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is well worth read IMHO.

Turn 9/11 rubble into a killing machine? Hello?
    The Times May 23, 2006

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,6-2192092,00.html

2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

4. While this article is... "not too bad" this is the same person who a few months ago wrote that all soldiers are steely-eyed baby killers who join the forces because they want to kill people.

He "salutes those 99.9%" who need not apply, because obviously armed forces aren't needed any everyone in them is horrible.

I can't find the thread on here, but you'll probably find a back copy on the times website.

He was "sports correspondant of the year" 2005 or 2006 or something, he's generally an oxygen thief of the highest order who occasionally writes massively opinionated pieces based on little or not fact.

5. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

It'll make that ship special to the people who serve in her and give them a tangible link to their chummy town. You can either view the steel from the twin towers as something important because of its association with the dead, in which case using it in a ship designed to help defend America from attack is appropriate, or you can view the steel as just scrap like any other, in which case the symbolism of incorporating it into a ship is meaningless. personally, I think its appropriate

6. right, the author: "Martin Samuel has been a sports writer and columnist for The Times since 2002. His weekly football column appears every Wednesday. He has been named as sports journalist of the year in the What the Papers Say awards, 2005"

and his previous article (the times' very own oxygen thief:

Today's news: soldiers are violent
    Martin Samuel

The sight of young squaddies beating prisoners is depressing — and utterly predictable

See the problem I have with him?

7. My god it's outrageous. We'll be making medals out of captured guns next.

8. Another well thought out rant from Martin Samuel. He may well be a decent sports writer but his grasp of current affairs or anything to do with the armed forces displays a staggering degree of ignorance. He is indeed, to quote Crabby, "an oxygen thief of the highest order."

9. fck fck fck....its taken me the best part of six months to forget that gibbering cnuting bollocks

*sigh*

...I'm gonna be in a bad mood for the rest of the week now

10. Now thats just plain silly................. :)

11. Yes I do. While I don't personally think making the rubble into a warship is quite appropriate, I can't stand people like Samuel. I live in a city of Samuels, and it drives me insane. I hear that crap everyday.

I think this quote is a good analysis of people like him:

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill

12. Today's news: soldiers are violent
    Martin Samuel

The sight of young squaddies beating prisoners is depressing — and utterly predictable

This mr martin Samuel just don’t have a clue what he is speaking about he should go out with our troops and see what they have to put up with on a daily basis by putting there own life’s on the line for queen and country they have to look after journalists wiping there backsides and trying to do there own job as best as they can what about how other people treat our troops throwing stones etc at them and cheering at them.
    There are two different points of view here to consider

13. People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

14. sports writer P.E. teacher who can print a sentance :twisted: