Turkish Soldiers in Lebanon ?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by NEO_CON, Aug 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have more question than opinions.
    Will this change the dynamic of the region ?
    Will this affect Turkeys membership in the EU ?
    Turkey
    Population:
    70,413,958 (July 2006 est.)
    GDP (purchasing power parity):
    $572 billion (2005 est.)
    GDP (official exchange rate):
    $332.5 billion (2005 est.)
    GDP - real growth rate:
    5.6% (2005 est.)
    GDP - per capita (PPP):
    $8,200 (2005 est.)

Iran
    Population:
    68,688,433 (July 2006 est.)
    $561.6 billion (2005 est.)
    $181.2 billion (2005 est.)
    GDP - real growth rate:
    6.1% (2005 est.)
    GDP - per capita (PPP):
    $8,300 (2005 est.)

2. Clean over the top for me this time of morning.
    What EU membership ?
    UK will be a full member before Turkey for King George cannot last forever and his running dog is on his last lap.
    john

3. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Hmm, I thought that 'King George' wasn't to ascend till his Mater, long may she reign, ascends, God Willing.

4. George is gone in 2 years and 4? months time.
    Blur should go with him or just before.
    I have said for sometime that The Yanks promised to get Turkey into Europe as a reward for their help against Sadam and the belief I have that the Kurds where promised their own state for assistance when King George had so few allies.
    john

5. I have more question than opinions.
    Will this change the dynamic of the region ?
    Will this affect Turkeys membership in the EU ?
    Turkey
    Population:
    70,413,958 (July 2006 est.)
    $572 billion (2005 est.)
    $332.5 billion (2005 est.)
    GDP - real growth rate:
    5.6% (2005 est.)
    GDP - per capita (PPP):
    $8,200 (2005 est.)

Iran
    Population:
    68,688,433 (July 2006 est.)
    $561.6 billion (2005 est.)
    $181.2 billion (2005 est.)
    GDP - real growth rate:
    6.1% (2005 est.)
    GDP - per capita (PPP):
    $8,300 (2005 est.)

I take the previous comments to mean
    1 Turkey will never get in the EU regardless of what happens.
    2 Turkey having soldiers in Lebanon will have no effect on the middle Eastern situation.

.Turkey will have soldiers on two borders of Syria's which may make Syria disinclined to challenge Turkish soldiers. Also Hezbollah may not be able to challenge the Turkish military with Turkey sharing a border with Iran.
    If as you say Turkey will have no chance to gain access to EU subsidies than might it turn its attention towards the ME ?

This of course assumes that the ceasefire takes place
    http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/article.php?enewsid=50168

6. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

They used to say in the old days of print media that news was old before the ink had dried. That article is two weeks old, and its the 21st century. Now I take your point about Turkey is still pretty relevant, but still....

7. http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1103AP_Mideast_Fighting_UN_Force.html

8. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

My wife worked at AP, so I understand the organisation a little (i.e Al Hura), I was hoping for another Turkish source.

9. Neo Con

A large number of EU states oppose Turkeys membership, Austria being the one who will say it in public, the reasons are historical, religious and enconomic. Although I like Turkey, think Attaturk was one of few the real political geniuses of the 20th Century and am more than happy to have Turkey in NATO I agree with the naysayers. Turkey in Lebanon is a good move - Turks in general regard the Arab world (their former slaves) as a embarrasment, they actively despise them. The rivalry between Iran and Turkey geographically at least goes back some 3000 years.

10. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Trojans and Persians :twisted:

11. Beyond that even, however I have just woken up and am 5700 miles from my reference books so you'll just have to trust me. But I do know some Turks and they would rather deepthroat Satan than team up with most of the Arab world, Turkey also has a long standing and wide ranging alliance with Israel.

Attaturk now there was a man, the middle east needs a couple more like him.

12. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I'm in no mood for arguing either mate, I've been up all night 8O However are you proposing, a la Ataturk, the Arabs adopt the Roman Alphabet ;)

13. Well then turks wont be joining EU for awhile then sense they didnt actualy help US with Iraq. In truth though turkey gained suport from US in joining all european orginazations during the Korean war not Iraq war. Sense US really has no vote in EU membership process backing turkey for membership is a easy throw away postion that gains US political points with turkey but has no effect on outcome.

US offerd Turkey 25 billion in loans to use turkey in ground invasion of Iraq and were turned down stranding a entire armored division on boats in med that were not able to reach iraq before fall of bagdad.

Now what did turkey gain to make them walk away from 25 billion $? Maybe promise by germany and france on EU membership? Think about it for awhile why was EU able to brush off turkey for 30 plus years with so little effort but then suddenly there membership became enevitable? Do you really think Chirac and Gerhard just up and decided that because the turks were so helpfull to US in iraq that they now needed to finaly really really push turkish EU membership.

The real problem for both EU and turkey here is the fact that french and germans can not actualy deliver on there secret deal.

As for kurds being promised independence its very doubtfull if it had been done time for it to happen would have been in 2003 not wait a few years while Iraq rebuilt its army to point where it can fight the move.

14. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Now there's a byzantine argument ;) Personally I find that the fact that it seemed to recently be Austria that was the most vocal opponent of closer integration between the EU and Turkey ironic given what I percieve to be Franz Ferdinand's penchant.

15. The promise by Europe of Turkey entering the EU has about run its course. Europe does not want it. The official policy of the US is that Turkey should be a member of the EU ,but the US does not have much influence on that issue in either Turkey or the EU. I do not know how much the Turks want to be in the EU, but that number has to be declining in the face of the strong opposition that EU member states have.

I have no Idea how this will play out, but it certainly adds a new wrinkle to a other wise complicated situation.

Turkey has to have interests in the stans, some of which have ethically related population ,not to mention the oil ,pipelines and shipping which help generate that 5.6 growth in GDP Turkey is experiencing.(Better than Europe's)

By sending peacekeepers to Lebanon and engaging in Arab lands, something which Turkey has not done aggressively since the end of WWI , this seems to possibly show a turning away from a EU centered policy to a increasingly independent Turkish foreign policy that does not look to Europe or the US. I might also add that it should not be in the Turkish Interest to see Iran get Nuclear weapons.