Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Turkish coffee.

Please could any Arrsers give me a few ideas on how to cook a decent Turkish mokka. I've tried a few times but the results are so dissapointing that i feel either i'm doing it wrong or the whole thing is overrated.:crying: I Have the Turkish Cesve and Mehmet Efendi coffee. Despite my valiant attempts even with you tube assistance i am failing miserably. It just seems to taste like old socks:puker:.. maybe this is intentional i don't know. I bow before the mighty Arrse wisdom and hope someone can help me. Well i've bought all the kit haven't i ?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I go more for Italian style, but have you tried one of these ?

1544896796350.png

You put water in the base, coffee in a pierced funnel in the middle, then screw the empty jug on top.

Put it on the stove, and when it comes to the boil, the water is forced under pressure, through the coffee, and it ends up in the jug......... with practice, you can brew the strength you want.

You can often get them in TK MAXX for about £12.

Lots of sugar and very fine ground Arabica dark roast apparently. If it stews too long it gets the sock flavour. Keep the pot clean and make sure you scrub out the shit after use.

I never drink coffee but the odd Turkish/Greek coffee every couple of years goes down well.

The trick is not to actually let it boil. At the point just before it starts to go from simmer to boil you will notice a change in colour and some the grounds at the top will start to sink. As soon as this happens, give the pot / pan a bit of a shake and pour. The remaining floating grounds will sink in the cup.
Key point - once you see bubbles, you've fucked it.

Last edited:
I had drunk plenty of similarly prepped coffee with Palestinians but, the first time I had a proper Turkish coffee shop served coffee I was a bit flumoxed. The bloke set down my tray with the coffee, Turkish delight and a small tall glass of water - like a tall shot glass.

"Whats the water for"?

"That depends , sir. You can drink some to cleanse your mouth and enjoy the taste of the coffee better, or if the coffee taste like shit you swill your mouth out with the water afterwards".

Spread the camo net over the jeep.
Put the machine-gunner on lookout/radio watch.
Find 5-6 small rocks and set them in a rough circle (well away from the camo net but still in its shade) while the driver gathers twigs and dry grass.
Pile up the twigs and grass in the center of the stone circle and light 'em up.
Take an empty full size ration tin can with its lid still attached at one point - ideally a tin that held peas - don't use one that held meat products -you can't get the grease off.
Fill the can with water from the water jerrican to about 5cm from the rim of the can.
Wedge the can between the rocks over the burning twigs.
Open the packet of finely ground "Turkish" coffee and cardamom.
Put three heaping racing teaspoonfulls of coffee into the can.
Stir in so the dry coffee grounds floating at the top don't burn on the side of the hot tin can.
Fold your floppy hat in readiness.
Stare intently into the tin can as a chocolate-coloured froth begins to form on the surface of the brew.
Sense the unique, heady aroma of coffee, cardomon and woodsmoke.
At a certain point the froth will begin to rise like an elevator.
Using your hat to protect your fingers and thumb, grip the lid of the tin can and lift it carefully off the fire.
The level of the brew and froth will subside.
Return the can to the fire and wait for it to rise again.
When it starts to rise, lift off the fire again and let it subside.
Repeat one more time.
After the third time put the can on the ground, add 3 teaspoons of white sugar and stir.
Wait 3 minutes for the contents of the brew to settle.
Set out your coffee glasses (Duralex style but nowadays made in Turkey).
Carefully pour the coffee into each glass while trembling your hand to ensure each glass gets some of the froth.
Call over your comrades.
One will open a packet of chocolate wafers - he won't need to be told.
The other will proffer around his pack of Marlboro.
Light one up. Hold your glass. Sip. Inhale. Sip.
This is one of the best moments of your life. You will long for such moments long after you are back in civvie street.

Last edited:
This is how I had Turkish coffee in Turkey

Efendim, bir tane Türk kahve, orta lütfen.

Seemed to produce velvety coffee every time.

Spread the camo net over the jeep.
Put the machine-gunner on lookout/radio watch.
Find 3-4 small rocks and set them in a rough circle (well away from the camo net) while the driver gathers twigs and dry grass.
Pile up the twigs and grass in the center of the stone circle and light 'em up.
Take an empty full size ration tin can with its lid still attached at one point - ideally a tin that held peas - don't use one that held meat products -you can't get the grease off.
Fill the can with water from the water jerrican to about 5cm from the rim of the can.
Wedge the can between the rocks over the burning twigs.
Open the packet of fine gound "Turkish" coffee and cardamom.
Put three heaping racing teaspoonfulls of coffee into the can.
Stir in so the dry coffee grounds floating at the top don't burn on the side of the hot tin can.
Fold your sunhat in readiness.
Stare intently into the tin can as a chocolate-coloured froth begins to form on the surface of the brew.
At a certain point the froth will begin to rise like an elevator.
Using your hat to protect your fingers and thumb, grip the lid of the tin can and lift it carefully off the fire.
The level of the brew and froth will subside.
Return the can to the fire and wait for it to rise again.
When it starts to rise, lift off the fire again and let it subside.
Repeat one more time.
After the third time put the can on the ground, add 3 teaspoons of white sugar and stir.
Wait 3 minutes for the contents of the brew to settle.
Set out your coffee glasses (Duralex style but nowadays made in Turkey).
Carefully pour the coffee into each glass while trembling your hand to ensure each glass gets some of the froth.
Call over your comrades.
One will open a packet of chocolate wafers - he won't need to be told.
The other will proffer his pack of Marlboro.
Light up. Hold your glass. Sip. Inhale. Sip.
This is one of the best moments of your life and will become a source of great nostalgia.
Ok ours used to go a little more like this. Park up the wagon (CVRW). No BV so get the hexi telly going. put on a mess tin of water, when it starts to boil throw in the 1 pint tea bag. lift off the burner, no need for gloves, scrape the twigs off the top and pour into 1 pint plastic mug. Add powdered milk and sugar and use wet tea bag to clean bottom of mess tin. Whilst this is happening no c u n t will help or do anything of use as they will pretend to be busy and its possibly raining. pass brew to commander, climb back into the turret closing hatch to keep the rain out and wait for the brew to come back round..
Or you could just dick the redarse to go to the Q wagon and steal a brew from the tea bomb!

Edited to add, the Fox wont have made it outside of the vehicle sheds without breaking down so a tea bomb per wagon whilst waiting for the fitters was normal!