Turkish coffee

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by putteesinmyhands, Apr 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK. I bought a tin of Turkish coffee, I've armed myself with a cezve and I've followed the instructions on the tin... (heaped teaspoon of coffee, teaspoon of sugar, 65ml of water)

But the coffee doesn't froth up while heating. A little bit of scum appears, but this disappears when the cezve is lifted from the electric ring. It also disappears if I try to skim it from the surface.

Increasing the heat doesn't help, neither does decreasing the heat. Leaving it for longer just results in the water evaporating to a point where there isn't enough coffee to fill the cups.

It still tastes OK, but I'm missing the froth.

Any ideas?

2. Electric ring? Does Jarrod know about this?

3. It avoids the smell of gas.

4. Ah, sound and sensible then. But in answer to your question, - no idea. I'll be in Ankara later in the year though and will ask. One thought springs to mind though: do you live in a hard water area?

5. Good point, and the answer is yes.

6. Aha! Voila! (Maybe). Try using softer water.

7. Ah wrong way round. Take jezve and put in water. Boil. Add coffee and stir once to ensure it is not a solid lump. Reboil and the froth will appear but watch it like a fecking hawk. However the best results are obtained using a 1 cup jezve.

And I have been here in Balkania far too long :D