Turkish Army to Lebanon

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Pork_Pie, Sep 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There have been a lot of reports about Turks opposing their army being part of the peace keeping force in lebanon. A lot of them refer to the desire to avoid fighting fellow Moslems.

This surprised me a bit, as I understand that Turkey is aggressively secular. Also, being fellow Moslems doesn't seem to have led to the Kurds being treated with kid gloves. (I also understand that there's not too much love lost between the Turks & Arabs, and I know Turkey & Israel are allies.)

Is religion the main reason for these protests against joining the peacekeeping force? Is it just the kind of rent a mob you get in most western cities?
  2. I think that the Turks will be wise to resist calls to deploy troops to Lebanon or anyhere else in the middle east for that matter. They have a resurgent Kurdish revolt in thier own hinterland and will not want to give jihadis any excuse to become involved there. They will also have one eye on possible conditions to EU accession in the next few years.
  3. There is one group of Lebanese who don't want the Turks anywhere near Lebanon - The Armenians. They be small in number but they are rather powerful. So that and the Turks reticence to go Lebanon in the present circumstances (i.e. the Kurds and who ironically also have a sizable population in Lebanon) means the Turks won't be joining the peace force. It should also be pointed out that Turkish-Israeli relations like Turkish-American relations have over the decade, cooled quite significantly.
  4. Putting the Turks in will be like Ghengis Khan to take over as Secretary General of the UN....