Turkey getting stuffed!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by zero-over, Jun 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Another fine candidate for EU membership!
    • Like Like x 4
  2. I do hope that the underlying reason for all this is a secular Turk reaction to the creeping Islamisation of Turkey.
    • Like Like x 8
  3. The generals must be biding their time.
  4. That's the impression I got from the comments beneath the story, and that's why I put the story in here - at the moment it seems like something relatively unimportant but people are bandying the word "coup" about.
  5. For a while now they've been using the "who wants to join a Christian club" mantra.

The Cyprus occupation will always be in the background to the bigger picture.
  6. Deep suspicion of EU when I was last there. Lot of people I spoke to convinced it's a jewish conspiracy. And something to do with tomato prices.
  7. The Turkish army is a huge part of the fabric of society and many will be expecting it to step in. The generals got rid of one Islamic-rooted government in the 90s without having to coup, and can do so again.

With Ergenekon and the murky deep state in the background, anything could happen. Turbulent times for the long-suffering Turkish people.
  8. Some of the cases from Turkey which reach the European Court of Human Rights put British complaints into perspective.

People being stormed in their homes at night. Wives and children seeing husbands executed in front of them. The rest 'disappearing' never to be seen again.

Turkey is a long way from being ready to join the EU. They are struggling to maintain the rule of law.
  9. A suspicion that they probably share with many already within. Not much to choose from between a largely undemocratic and unaccountable federal state and a potential dictatorial theocracy.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Good point!
  11. Blimey, do they get The Daily Mail there as well?
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Looking at the Turks rapidly expanding economy (GDP growth has been in high single figures, 4% forecast next year) and then at collapsed Greece which also has a less than gentle police force I think we know which would have been a better bet.
  13. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I am having trouble splicing your second paragraph to the second sentence of the third.
  14. So Joey, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?
    • Like Like x 2