Turkey condemns US Armenia vote

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ord_Sgt, Oct 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

What is it with politicians. To make some poxy political point they pi$$ off a whole nation. They knew this would annoy the Turks but went ahead anyway and at the end of the day who actually benefits, no one. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. :roll:

Full story here.
  2. Good one, doing what's right rather than what's expedient.
  3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well, we've just apologised for slavery, and I'd like to see the yanks apologise for the American Indians whilst they are at it, after all, they are STILL living on reservations, and the US is STILL occupied terrritory.

Don't even start me on South America - all those bl00dy spaniards have got alot to answer for . . . and Ozzies, and Canadians (French) etc. At least the New Zealanders have done something about their captive audience, for instance, letting them play Rugby.
  4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

But as Biped says there's a million wrongs in the world that need righting but to do this knowing it's going to pi$$ of one of your good mates is just plain stupid.
  5. You are not Neville Chamberlain reincarnated are you?
  6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

eh? :?
  7. I reckon it was done for political point scoring, but it has highlighted the Turks refusal to look their own history in the face.

Think of how wound up we get when the Japs start suggesting that maybe Changi wasn't all that bad after all and remember that the Armenians were killed in a planned attempt to wipe out a population. That nobody wants to acknowledge this gave Hitler the idea that genocide wouldn't harm his international position too badly.

There's a world of difference between neglecting to look after a civilian population thereby allowing them to die in large numbers, and deliberately sending your troops in to kill them and raze their villages.
  8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I agree with that entirely, I just can't understand what these politicians hope to gain by this.
  9. It wouldn't surprise me if this hadn't come about following the arrest/jailing of Armenian historians and Turkish publishers who so much as hint at what went on.

Turkey is in total denial at an official level, although the population is probably fairly aware that something untoward happened.

Churchill referred to what happened as a Holocaust - long before WW2.

Hitler was warned (by his own bods) not to do to the Jews what had happened to the Armenians, but replied along the lines of "No-one remembers the Amenians now, and everyone has forgotten to blame the Turks".

The Israelis even deny that it was a holocaust - mainly because they want the word for themselves alone.

It's a funny old world.
  10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

If the Turks are getting bent out of shape because someone mentioned the attempted holocaust against the Armenians, and thus are denying it in one way or another, do we really want them in the EU?

It's one thing to have done bad things in the past, and pretty much every nation has, but one, in this enlightened day and age, especially considering we are all in the process of selling out to a Greater Soviet European Union, has to acknowledge that past, and accept it was wrong.

I, myself, am very sorry indeed that we let the yanks steal Indian land, and then remove our Queen as head of the new occupier state.
  11. What exactly does this achieve? Has any other government pointed out that the treatement of Native Americans constitutes genocide? Are the Americans the only nation with a government committee assembled solely for the prurpose of identifying genocide?
  12. :wink: As long as the Turks keep this up good, no way into E.U. and hands into the PIGGY BANK (or kabab bank)good :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
  13. There is no doubt that them mass slaughter of Armenians in turkey was appalling, buthtis vote threatens the security ofthe Northern Iraqi border, IS the US now going to have to fight the Turks to protect the Iraqi soverign land? Even better they will have real dramas if it escalates and are thrown out of Incerlik etc.

Politically naive even if morally upstanding.
  14. I think that Benjamin is suggesting that you are an 'appeser'...
  15. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Ahh I see, well he obviously doesn't read many of my posts then.