Turkey and the European Community

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Seadog, Dec 18, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Turkey wants to join the European Community.

It’ll end in tears. Those of Turkey if the French and the Germans keep them out (I hope so) and those of the rest of us if 70 million Turks get the right of abode in the other member states. I bet the Turks won’t want to have a shot at living and working/living and scrounging in one of the ascendant countries (Romania for example).

Much is made of Turkey’s membership of NATO but Turkey needed NATO as much as NATO needed Turkey. Things have changed. I see Turkey’s EC membership as an open door to serious immigration from Asia/Arabia into Western Europe. Blag a Turkish passport and a get on the gravy train.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2004/12/18/dl1801.xml&sSheet=/opinion/2004/12/18/ixopinion.html

2. Bliar is already filling out the paperwork.

3. and fast tracking it?

4. GOD HELP US! We are all feckin doomed.

5. Heard him on BBC World Service last night, rhapsodizing about it. Greatest thing since sliced bread, to hear him tell it.

6. Is there anything that Bliar doesn't think is the best thing since sliced bread - apart from us that is?

7. what's your problem Kowalski???

[​IMG]

8. There's a good article in the Guardian about this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/turkey/story/0,12700,1376467,00.html

The para below summarises the article -

Basically, if the Turks join (under their current Govt), the people who most strongly opposed their entry will try to ally with them in Europe to defeat legislation for liberal causes. Similarly, the liberals who are most strongly in favour of Turkey joining might get a shock when their new chums fight tooth and nail against womens' rights, gay rights, etc.

Could be interesting.

9. Me no like Bliar

10. guess ur not a top gun fan :(

11. Hes too busy writing cheques his body cant cash.... or is that Bliar???

12. But Blair can cash them, although it comes out of our account not his

13. Turkey is not European. A little bit of it is on the European continent but 95% of it is in Asia. It is practically third world ( like some of the other countries being admitted). It is cheap pirated junk central, surely not good for our collective economies. It is not multi cultural like the rest of Europe and the rest of Europe will not be upping sticks and going to exercise their right of abode in Turkey should Turkey become a member state. The traffic will be (as at present) all one way.

Think of Turkey as blondbint and the EC as ARRSE. You don’t belong, stop trying to blag your way in.

EC as ARRSE? Already is.

14. I can't see Turkey's eastern borders being that secure either. Anyone coming across there is faced with zero border checks all the way to Dover, and then it'll just be a case of 'Welcome to Blair's Britain'.

15. Turkey isn't joining so that its citizens can benefit from the Eurpoean Court of Human Rights & standard sized bananas.
    It wants in for the subsidies(read as more taxes for us).
    Biggest mistake we ever made was begging(& paying) to join the EEC.
    Thanks to Ted Heath; which proves that ALL our Politicians are cnuts. :evil: