Turkey alternative for Christmas dinner?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Mugatu2, Dec 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I never cook turkey at Christmas as it's blander than a bland thing. (Besides which there's too much waste left over for only 2 people). I usually cook beef wellington but I forgot to order a beef fillet from the butcher and he needs a week's notice.

So what would be your alternative? I suppose I'm probably slightly at the mercy of the supermarket and what they have left, but I'd have thought there should be something knocking about that might be interesting.

I've done gammon in honey one year, that was quite nice, but any new ideas are appreciated.
  2. Duck or Venison maybe?
  3. Beef, that's what I'm having.
  4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

nice bit of chicken, stuffing (made with sausagemeat natch) and pigs in blankets not appeal??
  5. I am with Joker on this with venison
  6. Goose. It's the dogs and gives fat for excellent roasties 'til about March.(1)

(1) Plus you can volunteer to rub it on the chest of attractive relatives to ward of the cold, or something.
  7. Venison or guinea fowl
  8. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

Go Vehan and have a nut roast.
    Or vegetarian and have Quorn.

Other alternatives could be a festive spiced salmon (Simular spices to mulled wine)

But seeing as you can't get and fillet, why don't you get some pork loin and do something with that?
  9. Spam fritters and Stella whilst sitting on bags of plaster in a barely renovated first house.

My romantic gesture on my first Christmas after getting out.
  10. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I've never done turkey either.
    Usually settle on venison, goose or rib of beef.
  11. Morrocan Lamb this year for me n the In -Laws
  12. Goose or Rib of Beef.

And you can still have all (most of) the trimmings!
  13. A lump of turkey from M&S, missus does it good and proper. Tatties, roast veg, chicken gravy followed by trifle and copious amounts of red wine and Hobgoblin plus gammon for Boxing Day makes me a happy teddy.
  14. You could phone the local Far Eastern Eating Emporium, commonly know as a chinky, and get them to deliver a substantial feast
  15. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

A new butcher!!! A fecking week's notice to supply some beef - he's having a larf.