Turkey alternative for Christmas dinner?

I never cook turkey at Christmas as it's blander than a bland thing. (Besides which there's too much waste left over for only 2 people). I usually cook beef wellington but I forgot to order a beef fillet from the butcher and he needs a week's notice.

So what would be your alternative? I suppose I'm probably slightly at the mercy of the supermarket and what they have left, but I'd have thought there should be something knocking about that might be interesting.

I've done gammon in honey one year, that was quite nice, but any new ideas are appreciated.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Duck or Venison maybe?

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
nice bit of chicken, stuffing (made with sausagemeat natch) and pigs in blankets not appeal??

Goose. It's the dogs and gives fat for excellent roasties 'til about March.(1)

(1) Plus you can volunteer to rub it on the chest of attractive relatives to ward of the cold, or something.

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Go Vehan and have a nut roast.
Or vegetarian and have Quorn.

Other alternatives could be a festive spiced salmon (Simular spices to mulled wine)

But seeing as you can't get and fillet, why don't you get some pork loin and do something with that?

Spam fritters and Stella whilst sitting on bags of plaster in a barely renovated first house.

My romantic gesture on my first Christmas after getting out.

I've never done turkey either.
Usually settle on venison, goose or rib of beef.

A lump of turkey from M&S, missus does it good and proper. Tatties, roast veg, chicken gravy followed by trifle and copious amounts of red wine and Hobgoblin plus gammon for Boxing Day makes me a happy teddy.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I never cook turkey at Christmas as it's blander than a bland thing. (Besides which there's too much waste left over for only 2 people). I usually cook beef wellington but I forgot to order a beef fillet from the butcher and he needs a week's notice.

So what would be your alternative? I suppose I'm probably slightly at the mercy of the supermarket and what they have left, but I'd have thought there should be something knocking about that might be interesting.

I've done gammon in honey one year, that was quite nice, but any new ideas are appreciated.
A new butcher!!! A fecking week's notice to supply some beef - he's having a larf.

I know this sounds crazy, but Iceland do a very nice boned and stuffed goose [£9, I think]. We tried on a couple of weeks ago, and it was surprisingly good. Just about squeezed 2 meals for 2 [one hot, one cold].

I know this sounds crazy, but Iceland do a very nice boned and stuffed goose [£9, I think]. We tried on a couple of weeks ago, and it was surprisingly good. Just about squeezed 2 meals for 2 [one hot, one cold].
Actually, this reminds me, Aldi 3 Bird Roast(Fnarr!) for a tenner is good as is the Boned Pheasant stuffed with pork or the Boned Duck.

We'll be doing the turkey again but I'll be lifting the skin away from the breast meat by sliding my hands very slowly under the skin (fnarr fnarr), then sliding cold slices of a butter mix made up the day before. This is lemon and lime zest and juice mixed with thyme and butter to a paste and chilled to make it easier to slide in place. It bastes the turkey as it goes and gives a lovely flavour to the breast meat. Make sure you don't tear the skin.
If there's only two of you go for a turkey crown which are very reasonable at Aldi at the moment.

The memsahb has got a saddle of venison half will be roasted for crimbo rest frozen then diced and made into a vennison and kidney pud later luvly jubly