Turkey - a real turkey?

I really don't think the UK is any position to lecture or "advise" any other nation about democracy at the moment. Personal opinion. Much as I hate Brexit.
Well, I'd say that the UK has a system that can and should work, but is currently failing because of the humans involved. In Turkey there is neither a 'straight' system, nor the politicians to make the best of what they have, unfortunately.

I can assure you HMG will make its opinions known to the Governmentof Turkey, but will also regard this as a bilateral matter and not for virtue-signalling; I understand HBMA Sir Dominick Chilcot KCMG was at the Foreign Ministry in Ankara today.
I would imagine that this may not be a completely unknown route.

I can assure you HMG will make its opinions known to the Governmentof Turkey, but will also regard this as a bilateral matter and not for virtue-signalling; I understand HBMA Sir Dominick Chilcot KCMG was at the Foreign Ministry in Ankara today.
That'll learn'em. Nothing like a good stern talking to, to get a dictatorship to toe the line.

Well, I'd say that the UK has a system that can and should work, but is currently failing because of the humans involved. In Turkey there is neither a 'straight' system, nor the politicians to make the best of what they have, unfortunately.
Doesn't really matter. You know the term "losing your credentials?" That's what is with the UK right now..

That'll learn'em. Nothing like a good stern talking to, to get a dictatorship to toe the line.
You'd be surprised how effective quiet diplomacy and chronic WhatsApping does. One thing dominant rulers desire is respect and recognition on the international stage. Erdogan had been asking for years, I understand, to have an audience with the Queen. Which he did, just over a year ago.

You'd be surprised how effective quiet diplomacy and chronic WhatsApping does. One thing dominant rulers desire is respect and recognition on the international stage. Erdogan had been asking for years, I understand, to have an audience with the Queen. Which he did, just over a year ago.
And how did that change, influence, improve, matters ?!

And how did that change, influence, improve, matters ?!
A lot of influence in Turkey (counter migration, counter narcotics, counter organized crime, access for our combat air etc...plus some big trade deals. Of course, I don't know what was said during the Audience.

Certainly seems so, due to a dispute over the sharing of intellectual property and the involvement of a Qatari-Turkish company RR Rolls-Royce has massively scaled back its efforts to win the bid for the TF-X.

Turkey said that it wanted Turkish defence manufacturer BMC into the project and Osman Dur, chief executive of BMC Power, the BMC subsidiary that has been working on the TF-X programme, had stated that all intellectual property rights gained in the project would remain in Turkey and belong to the Turkish government. A point, not unsurprisingly, of seeming contention.

But then I am sure you are quite familiar with all that, and, the whole heaving mess is still in very fluid motion

Last edited:

Latest Threads